What cichlid is this?

keon9

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly which cichlid this is. He has a couple of small orange spots on his lower tail fin, and looks a little bit paler than in the photo (e.g. not so blue, more grey like in the second photo)

male.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure this gold colour cichlid is the female to match!!!

male%20and%20female.jpg

My male has been clearing out all the stones in the bottom of this little cave, and has been shaking his tail whenever the female comes near the entrance to the cave!!!

cave.jpg

If anyone has any info they can give me - I would really appreciate it!

thanks! :8

It looks to me like you have a pair of Pseudotropheus saulosi, Which are Dwarf Mbuna from Lake Malawi. Especially with the digging, in my tank the only fish that digs in large ammounts is my male P. saulosi.

Follow this link and have a look at a good close up.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/panis...eus_saulosi.htm

Cheers Garry

yeh im pretty sure its a metriaclima estherae (old name pseudotropheus) just they have a mmuch better colouration than most of the ones i have seen which have a lfaded pale blue for the males and a faded orange for the females there are varieties of estherae around though and the females do look alike but the males are different the other variety has a pearly white coloured male with yellow through the fins just make sure you get the right variety females if you ever want to add a few more

Hi Guys -

Mbuna aren't my strength. It is definately not a saulosi - could be an estherae but I'm not certain,

As for M. estherae and it's new name I suggest we stick to "Pseudotropheus" estherae - till the taxonomists work out what is going on. Michael Oliver reckons they are Maylandia (not Metriaclima)... and he's not the only one. I reckon we should sit on the fence for a while :unsure.

HTH

Where abouts are you from?

If you are in Australia, it's unlikely they are an estherae pair as I don't believe we have the blue male / orange female type here. (correct me someone if I'm wrong)

To me, the male looks like a standard black bar zeb (or a "combination"of zebs) and the orange girl looks like a Ps. estherae puulu point zeb (or Tangerine "Metangula" even)

What did you buy them as? I hope they weren't in a tank labeled "mixed africans"...

:8

you can get the blue male orange female of p estherae it could be them just a lot brighter than usual

i dunno about t being a black bar i havent seen any black bar zebra that are that coulourful all the ones ive seen are a dull blue with dull bars

I'd have to say its a tangerine zebra, I have all orange adults and I still get some blue male fry, while I don't raise and sell my fry I have one blue male who is growing up that looks just like your male, only a bit more faded. I'm sure if i took my orange male out he'd colour up like yours is.

Archived