Top View Ranchu have sneaked in....

goldenswimmers

Some good news for any goldfish nuts out there.....It seems some REAL top view ranchu have sneaked into the country.... A local fish shop(up here in Brisbane)recently had "Japanese ranchu" arrive in the store..these guys had turned up in the past but were the usual chinese looking ranchu or even just a bigger form of a regular side view ranchu....the true Japanese ranchu are viewed from above,have much longer physiques and have a much more unique style of headgrowth and overall look..the headgrowth on Japanese ranchu protrudes more from the front of the face/nose area(funtan is the name of this form of headgrowth) and they also have much less headgrowth on the cheek area....so I was sceptical but yep this time round they were the legitimate Japanese influenced ranchu...we cannot import from Japan so would have to have been bred in another part of asia or arrived via another location(and my first guess would be Thailand as they produce very good ranchu influenced by Japanese genetics of both top and side view variety and have fish imported from japan)...I have scooped up the 4 available at my local store and will be "fish hunting" shops up here in Brisbane to see how many more I can scoop up....its one of those things where you will never know if they will be shipped in again at any given time..I have waited years to see these guys turn up...and only once in the past had I seen them..these ones looked like culls that had been chucked into a standard ranchu order(probably to make up numbers) and were very weak fish...but I grabbed them...these latest arrivals are much bigger,stronger and have the genetics I have been chasing for awhile(a long while :))..finally a chance to breed the real deal Top View Ranchu or TVR as they are sometimes referred to.....japans "king of the goldfish".....The fact I got these guys through a local fish shop/aquarium and they were supplied by bayfish means it must be a good sized group that has arrived(hence my fish hunt I have planned)...so was also curious to see if anyone in Sydney has noticed these guys turning up....I will share some pics to compare both a side view to a top view and then also some pics I grabbed of the guys that I recently grabbed...the guys I grabbed have a small flaw here or there(as seems to always be the case when exporting out of a country that loves these fish,has competitions for them etc)but the genetics are there and that's all you need to get to work :) First 2 pics are sideview then 2 pics of topview for the comparison P1050288.jpgb6.jpg1289722014.jpg2701327f-b4f5-4be8-b988-1243_zps8d8a48bc.jpg And just for the record I think both types are great fish :).....but I have been waiting quite some time to have the opportunity to work with both :).....enjoy goldfish nuts :) and almost forgot the pics of some of the guys Ive already grabbed... :)SAM_9114_zpsa1f16361.jpgSAM_9095_zpsfc33973c.jpgSAM_9091_zps8fffcd63.jpgSAM_9076_zpsf73be95c.jpgSAM_9067_zps713644bb.jpg

How big are they rougly? Goldfishes is what basically got me into lookin further into the hobby. They look great
you can get them semi-large if they have good genetics & have been well raised...full size around 15-25cm for the nice big guys and chunky :)..the guys I grabbed are checking in at about 10cm but are still young and with some good feeding and care hopefully will get a fair bit larger...the guy in the above pics with white on his head has the most potential for good size..he hasn't filled out yet plus has a longer body..when these guys are full grown and have a few years under there belt they are usually nice big chunky fish so fingers crossed :)

hmmm with some further investigation I have found out not many came in....bayfish has none left and other than the few that were available up here(Brisbane)the only other little group came to Sydney....so a fish shop in Sydney has grabbed them....I would probably be willing to depart with a finders fee :) if they were to find their way to me :) :)....or if someone else is keen on getting into these guys...let the hunt begin...:)

These guys get raised in shallow ponds...usually 3 to 4 feet square and about 30cm deep...helps to promote and strengthen the desired shape..... ;) Im currently getting some custom tanks done up like 4 x 2s and 4 x 3s at 12-15 inches deep..cheaper to get done too because you don't need the thicker glass for shallower tanks...maybe a strong base...:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived