BN in fry tanks

daved

g'day,i was wondering if anyone uses small bristlenoses in their fry tanks. i have a tank full of desert goby fry and it desperately needs all the surfaces cleaned.the fry hatched before i thought they would and spread throughout the tank so i removed the parents and left the fry in the planted tank(java fern mainly).now everything is covered in egg yolk fry food and powdered flake.i have trumpet snails in there but they dont seem to help.the fry are now up to 1cm,some smaller.

I use small BN in my fry tanks. The BN are usually around the 3cm mark. So far, I've never had any problems. The fry are usually at least 1cm however when some have escaped their fry saver the BN haven't touched them. That's my experience.

I always use small bristlenose to keep my fry tanks clean without any problem. Just be sure you have adequate biological filtration on the fry tank, as the bristlenose can cause an ammonia spike if you are feeding heavily, which we all tend to do in fry tanks to get them growing. I always run a sponge filter in my fry and growout tanks for this reason, even though they are also on a sumped system.

Cheers, Doug

Archived