Planted Apisto Setup, TAKE 2...

cooder

Hey all,

This is my latest setup, a 2ft planted tank that im going to stock with apistos, either bitaeniata "rio ampiyacu" or baenshi inka 50, maybe trifasciata or aggasizii. My first apisto planted setup in the tank fizzed out, the female got stuck in a plant pot and died, and the male died a short time after, so this is my second go. Just planted last night.

This one is my initial scape without plants.

DSC_0304_zps44547bb9.jpg

This one is with plants, soon to have fish.

Ive got:

1x crypt pontederiifolia

2x crypt wendtii red

2x crypt parva (these are the cutest little crypts ive ever seen)

2x crypt nevelli and

a heap of dwarf chain swords!

The substrate is Aquasoil amazonia II underneath with play sand.

DSC_0325_zpsfd467655.jpg

The pH is sitting at 7.6, although the water i use is 6.0 or under. I tested the sand and the rocks with vinegar to see if they reacted but it didnt look like they did, maybe the sand is buffering it,

Ill have to test when i get off work by doing a 100% WC and testing it over a couple of days to see if it buffers up again.

I might need to take out the sand, which will be an absolute pain in the rear end. then ill have to buy a heap more Aquasoil :( anyone know where to get clean peat online? and does it make tonnes of tannins, i dont want the stuff to make the tank go dark brown, the timber already does a nice enough job of that.

ANYWAY its starting to come up alright, im keen to get my apistos and tetras soon, hoping to get lemon, serpae or maybe some pencil fish for this.

Hope you like it, i do! :D

It's lookin good!

I did get a bit worried when i saw you'd put the play sand over the aqua soil. It might restrict any flow getting to the plant roots.

I've forgotten a lot of what i'd learn't in the past about planted tanks so I'm not 100% sure.

One thing i am sure of and that is i cant wait to see these apitso's! :thumb

Yeh not sure about that play sand yet, i may have to remove it all and rebuild, try to recover as much as i can from underneath.

Do you think it will stop it working being underneath?

I have a feeling it might effect it.

Also the aqua soil helps to soften the water and lower ph but might not work as well being under that sand.

Best to do it now before you get the fish eh.

Can you scatter some Indian almond leaf on the bottom for that "creek look"?

I would give a natural look and also help to lower the ph without releasing tannins in a tea sort of way.

Just a thought.

I plan to put some of those leaves in when i get my fish from Jodi Lea,

I will post some update pics within then next week for you guys, I found out the rocks were buffering so, so far the water is sitting steady and not going up, great news.

Cody

ps. Oh and im getting some rare cyps too so will post pics of them too!!!

The tanks latest layout, and i got some tetras today.

8 neons and 7 red eyes. they look quite nice.

Crumby photo though :\

DSC_0326_zps6c7f0712.jpg

Even better news, some Wild caught peruvian bitaeniata are coming out of quarantine tomorrow! AAAAH they are going to be amazing!!

the only problem though is i have a small ammonia spike i picked up today when i introduced the tetras, so ill be doing a water change every morning to get it down to normal before i even order, might have to wait for the cycle to kick in better than i thought it had.

Awesome job, love the selection of plants and driftwood arrangement

Thanks mate, Turns out i havent got 7 red eyes, ive got 4 red eyes and 3 glowlights, the guy at the LFS is an idiot, he is selling telmatochromis sp orange scribble / telmat. temporalis as Neo. Tetracanthus!!! they look totally different, if it was good quality and there was more than just 1 i wouldve picked some up, he is selling a deformed leleupi for 41 bucks!!! its not even full grown!

he got my order wrong, but anyway im happy with 3 different species,

Not sure how the apistos will go with that many fry predators, i suspect i will have to remove them when they start breeding if i raise a brood

Cooder

the Telmatachromis will be dohnti (canninus) as this has been sold under

sp. scribble head and temporalis

totally agree with some LFS having no idea and going by what they order

that has been screwed up by their supplier and never picking it

just plain poor manager that should pick these things up

Sloory

Grant only imports Africans

Cooder mentions earlier in the post that Jodi-Lea from Fishchicks in

Bribane is supplying the Apisto's

Sloory

Grant only imports Africans

Cooder mentions earlier in the post that Jodi-Lea from Fishchicks in

Bribane is supplying the Apisto's

So he did and i now remember reading it. Sorry bout that :B

No problems!

I just ordered 30 seconds ago,

a trio of Apistogramma agassizzii "Alenquer"

I was going to get some WC Bitaeniata but i have never kept WC apistos before, and she said they are only going for the live food, and i wont be able to get any quick enough, sucks alot actually....

anyway im happy,

They will be coming on wednesday next week, so get ready for some pics!!!

I look forward to the fish when they arrive lol,

Urgent question as i will be ordering a shipment of dry goods off AOA tonight:

Will liquid plant fertilizers be ok for fish at appropriate doses? my guess is yes but i just thought i would ask,

Cheers,

Cody

Archived