Rack tank plumbing and pumps

Hutto05

I have 6 fry tanks and one breeding tank set up on a rack with a 5 foot sump. Total of 1000 liters plus sump and pipe volume. Was looking at a laguna max flo 2000/ 7600lph pump to run this. Worked out it should turn over tanks 4.2 times an Hr. Firstly is this ok and if it is too much can I plumb a valve between the inlet pipe and the drain pipe to lower the flo and pump excess straight back to the sump?

Hi Hutto

looks like you have taken head hieght into consideration but if not

you need to know the flow rate at the highest head point you will be

pumping to as flow decreases as it get higher

then calibrate your turn over

IMO look at turnover 4-6 times per Hr

yes you can plumb in a bleed back line to the sump with a valve in

it to reduce any excess flow but I would have the main tank at full

open and adjust the valves into the fry tanks as I don't think it may

need a bleed off but for the cost it may come in handy

the only way to tell how much is flowing is with a flow meter or time

how long it takes to fill a container and then calculate your flow rate

from there

and don't forget the pics :)

Thanks Link2Hell. I converted the flo charts from the laguna website from us gallons to liters so it should be very close. As for the plumbing I am lucky enough to have a very generous neighbor who plumbed it all for free and did an excellent job. I will get him to put the extra pipe in with a valve as I don't want to load the pump if I turn down the flo in the fry tanks as you sugested. Looking forward to getting it up and running. The only hold up is the foam for under the tanks and I ordered enough to insulate them in winter, they won't be cut for at least two weeks. It's going to be a long two weeks. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

I assume that you plan to have valves on the inlets to all your tanks. If you don't have them in the plan I would put some in. It is an expensive initial outlay but worth it in the end. When I run out of fry saver space quite often 5-10mm fish end up in compartments of my divided 4x18x18's so I have reduce to flow in and basically rely on air driven filtration otherwise I end with a very full sump. No matter what I do I manage to get them in there.

cheers

rosco

Hey rosco. I have put valves on every pipe inlet and drain to adjust flo to fry tanks and will add a run off valve incase there is to much flo. I was also going to add another valve just above the sump and run a pipe off it straight to the front lawn to make water changes easier. I'm sick of using buckets!!

Archived