Mixing Apisto species?

cooder

Hey guys,

Was wondering if mixing apisto species, having two pairs of different species in the one 67 litre, 2 ft tank would be possible?

I really want to get the two rarer species that i have available to me at the moment... there is a pair of bitaeniata flame back and 3 inka 50 that should get a pair out of at least...

Maybe if/when breeding happens, pull the female and fry out into a small sponged tank?

Im expecting for it to not work, but just thought i would ask opinions anyway...

Cody

Yeh thats what i suspected...

thanks anyway, cant get both though so will have to chose! CANT MAKE UP MY MIND LOL...

I WISH! there is a 4 ft but it wont be cycled before the time frame that i can get them in, she wants them gone by end of jan for fish room rebuild, or maybe i could think of some way of getting it cycled? getting rid of the calvus that i am going to get rid of anyway a bit earlier? use that canister? oh i dont know... lol it would be to rush to get a decent setup, good things take time lol

and not to mention money!

ill brew over this... ive got the work (money potentially) .... got the tank, but got no time.... SIGH!

if i can come up with something to make this work then ill do it lol!

ACTUALLY, now that i think about it, she did say that the inkas are small? so they could go in a sponged small tank while big tank cycles?

pff... im hopeless! :spaz:

the only seeded media i have running at the moment is in my tang tank canister, and im not sure if filthy filter wool counts!!.... the filter that i am about to setup for this 2ft tank, i am about to stick the bio balls and noodles from that into my canister get them seeded then into the little filter they go when the substrate arrives (and test kit by the way) ready to start seeding the substrate , then plants... then test for nitrites, nitrates and ammonia... if its all good then fish.

Could 2 species go in the 4ft, with the smaller filter (yeh smaller, but seeded, and only carrying the load of 5 fish) while the sponge runs in the 2ft, before moving a pair, then getting a decent canister for the 4ft...

i wanted geos in the 4ft so it could work anyway?

i have seen an apisto pair and rams in a 3ft..... maybe rams are little wusses?

ill go and grab that sponge and stick it in my setup tank, get it going...

I thought i would ask, if u have enough seeded media working on a tank already, adding unseeded media WONT start a mini cycle right?

Thanks for thinking this through along with me Sloory!

G'day mate

and no worries its helping me to remember what id learn't from them when i had them :)

I reckon that the used filter wool would be perfect to kick start new tank. Put it in your small canister!

I've heard of people having two species in 4ft's but you have to make sure you heavily plant out the center of the tank to block the line of sight between them.

Add a nice cave formation either side and you might have luck!

Yeh might work,

After some thought, i should probably just get one species then decide whether i want the 4ft for ochrogeny sandsifters or geophagus sand sifters... hehe

Cody

DSC_0299_zpsc3b3824d.jpg

DSC_0298_zpsac677566.jpg

First test of my DIY Filter setup... its 2 small HOB filters put together so im staging it with bio on the left and mechanical to the right

first test was succesful, except the lids leak a bit, so need to get better rubber seals or something...

Archived