tangs and whiting

Kerrin

Hey all,

firstly a merry christmas to everyone, hope you all have a fantastic day.

I'm wondering if anyone shares my thoughts as far as similarities between some of the tanganyikan species (xenotiliapia, enantiopus, reganochromis) and the whiting species of Australia.

I am sure this is all down to an evolutionary process regarding how these fishes feed, all being sifters of sand, but I don't think that the similarities end with the mouth and head.

The body shape, overall body color and even finage seems to me quite similar, and something that I find very interesting, would love to hear some thoughts on the matter

Good though! Makes alot of sense, when you apply that knowledge it's pretty logical that 2 species who inhabit the same ecological niche evolve along very similar paths, even if those 2 species are totally separate.

For some reason I really enjoy seeing the similarities, maybe it's got something to do

With patriotism, kinda nice to see an Aussie fish with a resemblance! Mind you I do keep alot of natives so I guess there's plenty to be patriotic about there also!

Archived