Breeding different types of bristlenose catfish, what would be the outcome..

Brad89

Just wondering what the outcome would be if the following were to breed..

Peppermint X Normal -

Peppermint X Albino -

Normal X Albino -

Would they be fifty fifty or would the babies be Hets? Cheers guys.

Thanks for that.. By any chance would you know what species in the Ancistrus genus the peppermint bristlenose catfish is or is "peppermint bristlenose" just a common name and it's actually apart of a whole differnent genus?

• 3 weeks later...

The Australian pepp is an unknown ancistrus species. As no one knows where it originated from or if it is even a pure strain it will always be referred to as peppermint bn. There has been much talk about this on planet catfish if you care to pop over there for the whole gamut of information.

There is also the orangespot bn here which some think is ancistrus sp. "rio ucayli" again, with out a capture location that is a best guess scenario. The other bn as stated before are all colour mutations of the same hybrid species we have here and is also in just about every other country too.

Then there is the L144 saga that has been going on, these are the golden blue/black eyed bn. They are here now in short and longfin variants, but yet again there is conjecture if they truly are L144 as there was only ever ONE caught in the wild, so again it is believed the has been hybridization going on.

Most ancistrus will cross, I once had a lone male pepp in a tank with ABN, and he was fanning eggs, don't know if he took a spawn over from another male or if a female albino did actually spawn with him. Either way the eggs all fungused and got kicked out. I personally don't think it is truly viable but others have claimed to have done it though I am yet to see any visual evidence.

I hope some of the above is helpful, any I applogise for any auto correct Americanized spelling my iPad has done.

Archived