Wild caught furcifer not eating?

shannon

Hi all I've got a wild caught featherfin male who won't eat. It's been over a fortnight now and it's starting to worry me. I've tried nls, sera veggie flake, frozen brine shrimp, deshelled brine shrimp eggs and most recently live brine shrimp.

Anyone have any ideas why the rest eat but not the one fish?

Does or has anyone else experienced this with these types of fish and how did you solve it?

Hi Shannan,

Upon seeing the title of your post I was coming here to tell you to try live brine shrimp. Rather shocked he isn't eating that, mine always loved it.

What's his behaviour like, is he coloured and pitting and chasing the girls or is he silver and sulking?

Also tank conditions, size, tank mates, how long have they been in there?

Mine always lover a water change, how long since you gave the tank a good clean?

Lastly, when was he last happy and what's changed between now and then?

I only got them just over two weeks ago ph is 8.6 kh 12 tank mates consist of a colony or microlepidotus and 3 juvenile mpimbwe frontosa max size 11cm. The tank is 5x2x2.

The furcifer is 18cm showing only a shimmer of colour. He isnt aggressive or digging. There is a smaller male roughly 13-14 cm that does show aggression but doesn't dig.

I'm not so much worried about him not digging or displaying as I know it will take time with newly caught wilds but the feeding is my concern.

Their still settling in. Mind you when I first got mine home he coloured in minutes, begun building a pit and I had two mouthfuls by the end of the day so it depends on the fish. (not wild caught)

I would be rethinking the fronties. The Foai swimming flat out shacking there tails at the girls and all the chasing might freak them out, especially as the fronties get older.

Is he sitting on the bottom or hanging with the others..... By the sounds of it there is no need to worry about him at this point.

Mate seen heaps of fish over the years respond to stress in this way. Often the result is not a good one. If he has not eaten food in a fortnight it's danger time. If possible I would try and remove any fish from the tank that is more settled than him. Keep the other furcifer (females especially)in there but whilst not aggressive the cyps and Frontosa could be enough to keep him in his shell so to speak. You could try putting him in with just the female furcifer also. You want to try and encourage him to start "pumping up" and hopefully that will bring back the appetite. but this is more likely if he is the dominant fish in the tank. With those cyps and fronts and the other male furcifer he may not feel allowed to come back good. Again two weeks of not eating is often very bad so it might be time to try something before its too late. I definitely think this is more than just settling in. This type of thing is one of the risks to maintaining fish. Every now and then one takes a dive no matter how careful you are. It's normally always stress associated. No doubt this fish has been through a fair bit of stress from wild to you tank. If he has never eaten in your tank then I would suggest stress is the culprit, especially if he looked otherwise in good condition.

Yeah all the other furcifer are eating fine and seem healthy. I'm not sure stress is the issue because other than not eating his behaviour is normal ie he chases the smaller male whenever close and doesn't hide or sulk on the bottom. The micros went in at the same time as him and the tank was rearranged when these guys arrived so the fronts wouldn't have any territories. I'll give separating the frontosa a shot and see how it pans out

i had a female furcifer kabogo do this for a few weeks. She refused to eat, lost a bit of weight, then all of a sudden started eating? hope yours pulls through like mine did mate.

What foods would u try laurie? I've seen him poop once and grab a mouthful of flake then spit it back out. That's the progress he has made

• 4 weeks later...

Archived