new video of the 6x4

Gav

i thought it had been a while since i posted a video of my large tank, so i decided to do another video. mainly americans with a toga, pleco and polleni in the mix

americans in there are a chocolate, a couple of green sevs, a trimac, a zonatum, a synspilum, 3 dempseys, 3 oscars, a bay snook, 4 convicts and 1 parrot. i have a couple of trimacs in my room as i doubt i can keep more than one in here without havoc. also have another zonatum, a few more convict males and some gold sevs that could go in, i just am reluctant to as the balance is pretty good right now.

Work on the adage that less is more. The temptation of adding more fish could alter the dynamics of the tank.

That has been the idea so far Ged. with 16 fish in 1600L of water it is way understocked. i just get tempted at times to put a bit more variety in.

Epic! The centre mangrove root is amazing! It's almost impossible to get anything like that here in Melbourne...the Jack Dempsey & splendida are my favourite.

at about 1.00 in this video you can see the entire tank. this is about 8 months old, and you can see how much smaller the fish are.

my two uncles helped with the stand. tank was built by a shop. the metal stand was made by one uncle that is a bouler maker, it can hold about 4 tonne and the tank and water is about 2 tonne. the wood is attached on the outside which was done by my other uncle who is a carpenter. he attached all the wood to the metal frame, then we swung the doors, made the hood and ran the corners up.

sadly this morning i have had my first casualty this year. the splendida was getting chased the last two days by the zonatum, but i really didnt think it was much more than a bit of a tiff. this morning i found the splendida dead with the zonatum snacking on it, so it wasnt much fun pulling out a 30 cm fish to bin it :(

i will see how the next few days go with aggression, but hopefully it will settle down. i really wasnt expecting the zonatum to be able to maul a fish considerably bigger than it.

are they that bad dave? its going to be fun trying to catch him. they are even worse than the trimacs then?

I'll bring over a fishing rod mate. Probably less drama and less overall stress on the fish.

Archived