royal whiptail catfish?

andrewl

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had any whiptail catfish or royal whiptail catfish I know the difference is just the fin size I really like the look of them thought they'd go great with my silver dollars and I'm just wanting some info on them e.g what .ph, water temp, whether I need to have more than one and food, to have plants or not to have plants?

Thanks,

Andrew.

I assume you are talking about Sturisoma species, particularly if referring to fin filament length in royal vs. common whiptail?

I keep mine at 25-28*C, in a planted tank, with sand/fine gravel substrate, and plenty of branching wood which is where they tend to hang out on. My pH is 7. I don't think the plants are necessary but I think the wood is. I find they don't compete well with other catfish for food e.g bristlenoses, plecos. I've kept them on their own, in pairs, trios ect. all with no hassles. I feed zucchini, hikari algae wafers, frozen foods, and a general pellet/ flake mix that mostly gets eaten by the rainbowfish in the tank.

Assuming you don't have other catfish already, whiptails should be good with your silver dollars.

Yeh no other catfish I have a simese flying fox in there but I don't think I'll have any hassles I might put the simese flying fox in with my cichlids which I already have one in there anyway but I will have to get some wood for it thanks for the info!

Archived