Cyprichromis sp kibishi wimple

Jamesmac

Cyprichromis are

Leptosoma and Jumbo Leptosma

Zebra/Zonatus

Pavo

Microlepidotus

There are a few different looking leptos but overall most variants are just blue and yellow, the different ones are obviously utinta, livua, mpimbwe, kitumba, speckleback moba (these being quite different from each other)

Zonatus and Pavo aren't too common but still exhibit just blue and yellow colours, although in different styles, brightness, have trailing fins and one of the two builds nests on sand

Microlepidotus are where it's at, at the moment, being a variation of colours which is what people want

But they are harder to breed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the book it states the wimple leptosoma is only found in chituta bay in Zambia

This is a confusing topic, because Congo is the entire half of the side of the lake which is a big area

Here is the Cyrpchromis sp. Zebra aka Zonatus which is from chituta, like most leptosomas, their colour intensifies when showing off obviously

http://www.suephoto.com/index.php/galeria/index/5/176

But notice how they're called Cyprichromis Zonatus Zebra, rather than sp. because it's just been accepted that it is

Also seen on here

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=7

However the problem we have is that the ones you bought are from the Congo, which raises the question whether - where in the congo are they from? and why weren't they found there as well when Ad Konings did the research for his book, instead of just in chituta?

He is releasing a new book by next year and will be visiting :) plenty of questions to ask him lol

All showing blue at the moment of the 11 males

6 are showing the blue tail as the photo and and ventril fins all the same

I'll keep u posted as they settle in

Nigel brought some in from airfish around 2002 or 3?.

I picked up the remnants of oneof those colonies (4 fish if I recall) built them up for a while then came back from a roadtrip to find a heater had shattered and cooked them *sigh*

Some (rather poor) photos of them here

IMG_3146.JPG

I wouldn't say lack of coloration fish are showing fantastic color

sounds good.... Ad's description was pretty much spot on for mine.

"the fourth species, C. sp. "zebra" (also known as the "Wimple Leptosoma") can be recognised by its yellowish colouration, lack of conspiciuous colours and broad vertical bars which are not permanently exhibited" ..

Dont get your meaning laurie

The males could look very pretty at times but when not spawning they had very little colour or pattern at all (eg the zebra stripes showed only when spawning).

I prefer the kitumba and mpimbwe/black-bee because the males have striking colours even when not displaying

Totally incorrect there Laurie I've just got these in and there not spawning

With 11 males they are showing off all the time at the moment

And great to watch

Cheers

Archived