Best Haplochrome Substrate?

TimB

Hiya guys,

I'm planning on setting up a haplochromine tank in the near future and I'm wondering what substrate is best for the fish and looks good at the same time.

Fine gravel?

Sand? If so, what type

Marble chip?

I know they like to dig....

Cheers in advance,

Tim

your going to have to wash all substrate you buy to some degree. unless you buy that live marine substrate you need to get a personal loan from a bank to afford. it does look nice and is a nice light natural looking colour. i found some pool filter sands to be to brown. they do hide the waste well but the fish dont look as nice on it in my opinion. grain size is really good. small enough sandsifters can easily put it through their gills but still large enough not to cause a sandstorm when you have your pumps running. its only about $8-9 so if you dont like it after its in the tank, syphon it out and poor it on the garden and go with something else. its not like your loosing a great deal of cash.

would the sand get sucked into a canister filter??

It is always a possibility.

But there are options available to minimise risk.

ie.. cover your filter intakes with a sponge filter, or cut the intake pipe so it is closer to 50% tank height than the bottom.

I am loving using pool filter sand. The stuff I get doesn't need too much rinsing, about on par with gravel bought from the Aquarium Shop. Mine doesn't get sucked up by filters and can be syphoned with care without losing too much.

Archived