Fish Room Insulation

~matt~

So i will building a fish room soon and just wondering what insulation i should be using, is there a certain type i should use? Some better then others? Any that you will reccomend that wont cost a fortune?

Thanks Matt.

I built my fish room from cool room panels and they are great for temp insulation, thats true but if installed properly and sealed well they are almost air tight. This led to humidity and moisture problems for me.

I had great results in my garage previously with roof sarking lining the walls only. I used the sarking you get in rolls, (which is a thin layer of insulation batt on the back of thick foil lining.) I built a stud wall inside the roller door and lined that too. It was great for years, good in winter but got bit too warm on a 40 deg summer day. Could have used an air con for an hour or 2 a day to maintane temp better.

In saying that, i run an air con in the new room for air circulation and to bump the temp a degree or 2 either way when required.

Cheap and good way was the garage with walls lined. The costs of cool room panels may scare you away from them. I was lucky enough to pick mine up really cheap as i work in cold storage facilities.

If you insulate too well you will end up with no air movement. you need fresh air and air circulation but to get fresh air you have to add vents which lead to temp loss or gain. But humidity and dampness will lead to bigger problems.

Using a reverse cycle air con that can heat and cool which exhausts and draws air from outside will do wonders. An air con will be cheaper to run than individual tank heaters over time.

Insulate well, heat / cool the room and allow for some fresh air circulation.

Don't get too concerned about insulation as over insulating can lead to other problems. My room temp actually rises just from the electric equipment in there. The air blower and pumps run hot and add to the room temp in my room. If you are looking to warm the room put the beer fridge and spare freezer in your fish room, they will warm things up.

Just my ramblings.

Cheers Couchy

Thanks for the help guys, i wont be using cool room panels im going for r3.5 insulation batts in the walls with villaboard on the walls.. I will be using a aircon to heat/cool the room but i may use an oil heater for the start while i get the funds for the ac, do you reccomend any specific brand, size etc? as always cheaper the better lol.

Thanks for the help, Matt.

Matt, i use a portable r/c air con. you can get them for under $400. when i need heat i run the exhaust duct back into the room. this cleans the air removes humidity and heats and dries the room air. You can pick them up at cheap homewares stores.

For this price don't put it off.

Your plan will work well, if you are going to use a heater add some small fans to keep air moving.

Cheers Couchy.

portable air con seems a good idea, i might go with that and $400 isnt too bad.. What brand are you using? The room will be roughly 4x5m what size a/c will i need?

Cheers

Archived