why cant i get my hands on a female true red terror?

cichlid_mafia

The ueropthalmus ( not sure if spelt correctly)is known commonly as a false red terror.

I have both species. I Breed the red terrors but I only have a male Ueropthalmus and if I could find a female would be very happy.

They are not as big as red terrors or as colorful but are very sturdy looking fish.

Because they are hard to get...and hard to breed.....and are susceptible to disease once they get a bit bigger so must be kept in very clean water.

I have breed several hundred of them and keep a fair few..will have a few available in a few months as I have a spawn just hatched a week or so ago.

what I would like to know is... why doesn't anyone call them Amphilophus Festae so that we all know what we are talking about???

I have seen some juvies in a pet shop in Nowra...

About 5cm,

they got them from Bayfish.

Not sure what they are worth.

Cichlasoma Uropthalmus is also known as the Mayan Cichlid.

I was in Nowra today and they have about 6 left....

$32 each i think. they are a little bit smaller than i thought, 4cm at most.

The best way to get a female festae in my experience is to get a few juvies (5 or more) and grow them out. From the batches I've had so far the there seems to be a much higher male %age then female.

goodluck!!

The best way to get a female festae in my experience is to get a few juvies (5 or more) and grow them out. From the batches I've had so far the there seems to be a much higher male %age then female.

goodluck!!

thanks oscar i have two small juvies but as you said there looking to be male but im on the hunt .... just cant seem to find many around .

as juveniles the only way to sex them is the females will get a

dark spot at the front of the dorsal

A. festae are more colourful but A.uropthalmus are harder to find

+1 with fishguts more care in ID'ing fish is required and the correct Latin name

should also be used if you use a trade name ...... gets off soapbox :angry:

Come on mate,... Nowra isn't that far away... Go for a drive this weekend.

They have been there for a while now...you might get em all for a good price??? (how keen are ya??)

Thanks for your support Chris....It just makes sense...

Not as good as I would like I got a couple of small fry but I'm not willing to wait for them to grow my guy is pretty big I seen in the buy and sell someone gave a 6 inch female away not long ago so cut I missed out I'm just waiting for the day lol

Plenty here in QLD

ive got 3 breeding pairs

My new hopeful pair

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

My other pair

IMG_1279-2-1.jpg

The boy was a bit pale in this pic, normally more green

IMG_1271-1.jpg

And my little pair

IMG_1371.jpg

Got a few extra males/females that im waiting to pair up, theyre out there just gotta find them

Archived