plumbing problem, how to stop gurgling?

joller

this is my new setup

p1030738w.jpg

this is the overflow

p1030740c.jpg

its really loud, wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to dampen the sound, i've tried looking for an S bend/trap but they don't make them in 25mm diameter, now i'm thinking of making an inline s bend, or heating some pipe and bending it

anyone got any better ideas before i waste time and money on something that might not even work?

thanks, joel.

Simple solution..

Put a tap on the end of each outlet and restrict it so that the water level in the above tank stays above the drain...

Works a treat but can take a while to get it perfect.

Goodluck.

Durso stand pipe is what you are after. Google them, they are simple to make and will all but silence the noise

Joel

One other option to think about is to set up a simple syphon system - have the inlet just below the level of your existing overflow. Most of the water would go via the syphon and the existing overflow would then be a back up in case the syphon broke. This will be a reasonably (totally?) silent system. I have a durso arrangement but I still use a syphon for the main draining. (If you put your ear to the monitor you can just hear it :lol5: )

I use the black 19mm garden irrigation tubing for my syphon - though you could use PVC pipe. Put a small tap on to re-start the syphon on when it breaks - i have a 4mm tube. LEt me know if you want pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

the one that drains into the filter is silent, but the one that drains into another tanks brings alot of air down with it, and so theres a bubbling sound but its no where near as bad as the gurgling, i'm not joking when i say it sounded a bit like i was on an airplane taking off

joel

Archived