What to keep/breed

Kartoon

Hi all

New to the ACE but really enjoying the forums. Been keeping/breeding fish for years now but mostly stuck to suckers and Aussie rainbows. Just setup some tank space and am wanting to get into cichlids. I was wondering what cichlids i should have a crack at breeding. I have got my hands on a small colony of salousi but have got the tank space to maybe get another colony of something. I have been looking at the xmas fulu or possibly the flameback (sorry for the common names still getting my head around the scientific naming conventions). Are there any other recommendations you guys might be able to offer? i have 2 x 4ft tanks that can be partitioned running off a 4ft sump. thanks again for reading over my post :)

haha Krellious not eartheater :) Name appears above.

I have fulu if you are interested in them. How many saulosi are in the colony. I had 4 and a colony of 4 ps aceii in a 4ft tank and all were breeding so you can have more then 1 species in a tank. WHat colors did you have in mind for fish?

Shoot sorry krellious should really have noticed that :) I have a colony of 6. how much do you have the fulu for? i was hoping maybe the red colouration i already have the salousi so i have the yellow and blue.

My fulu are $1 per cm. And about 3-4cm so not huge. If you want red have you looked into peacocks? They have ALOT more red then my fulu. Dragon Blood are a good example of what you should look for :)

Yeah i have seen some peacocks around they do have some stunning colours just don't know a whole lot about cichlids yet. i suggested the flamebacks and the fulu cos i saw a few of them in a LFS and i was amazed by how many colours one fish could have on it :D. how many fulu do you think i should keep in a colony? and will they be ok to share the tank with my salousi?

Also have some mates in the hobby as well and one of them swears by breeding oscars. Now i love the look of oscars as small fry but as adults not really my thing but are they popular in the hobby? ive heard that the size of a brood can be in the hundreds is this right?

Oscars grow big and will NEED a BIG tank. Fulu should be ok as a trio. I have 2m 6f in a 2ft tank and they breed like rabbits with no shgns of aggression. 4ft could easily hold that many and a few saulosi

Archived