Americans for 3 foot tank stocking

Priscacara

G'day, I have a 3 foot tank on the kitchen bench with featherfin rainbows, peacock gudgeons , couple of red nose shrimp, 2 snails and a female bn (the partridge couldnt swim and the pear tree wouldnt fit).

The tank is planted out with swords and annubias on rocks with a nice feature piece of wood, everything is thriving. The only thing that isnt is my eyesight as the fish are all a bit small for a nice display tank, most are adult size now and the gudgeons have spawned a few times.

I'm going to move all the inhabitants on and try a pair of "something" to let them spawn and sell any fry to the lfs, its the "something" part I need help with. My tap water is a bit odd with a current ph of 7.6, 1gh and no readable kh. I dont know of anything that would suit these parameters, I use chemicals such as ph down, kh buffer and when I had the Africans the appropriate conditioners when required for the various tanks (bit of buffer in the tank as it is now).

I was thinking of maybe a pair of convicts or salvini. The fish should be colorfull and easy to see in the tank and have interesting attitudes (I REALLY miss my Africans :( ) which those 2 types would have, convicts maybe not so much the color I guess.

I'm not wanting anything exotic or hard to keep, something fairly hardy to suit the conditions (tap or adjusted) and tank size so please feel free to suggest any you think appropriate. I may keep the bn and get another for algae duty but only if they will fit with the main fish.

Cheers!

Not Americans.....but cichlids worth consideration given your very soft water

.....why not try Pelvicachromis taeniatus

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=pelvicachromis+taeniatus&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=stT7Ttf_DeaviQemu5i8AQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

They are like kribensis....but more colorful....quite a few localities about ATM

They will breed and raise their fry in that size tank

Les

it depends on if you want to keep the other fish and shrimp with them :happy:

If you consider Pelvicachromis then look at subocellatus (smaller form),

Appisto's, Blue rams or Dicrossus filamentosa as I think most others

will just be to aggressive

and also add some Praecox rainbows

Hi Chris, I havent had much luck with rams unfortunately, lost any I've tried to keep due to intestinal problems. Even got some direct from Germany with the same result a few months down the track. They are beautiful fish though.

Not Americans.....but cichlids worth consideration given your very soft water

.....why not try Pelvicachromis taeniatus

http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=672

They are like kribensis....but more colorful....quite a few localities about ATM

They will breed and raise their fry in that size tank

I agree with Rod. These are great little fish and they spawn well after a water change.

The link brought back memories as third picture is one I took back in 2006.

Pelvicachromis_taeniatus.jpg

It was a Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigerian Red" female and her colouring was a simply stunning in full breeding dress.

What about real red forest jewels.These are stunning even when not breeding.They have a nice pair at St Kilda aquarium and generally have fry.Mine should be breeding soon and you can have some fry.They are H guttatus (So Ted Judy from the US says)

IMG_2873.jpg

I love taeniatus although its hard to get a true locality (kienke,dehane,Nigerian forms etc) most (even the german ones) are mixed,but very colouful never the less

I love my Steatocranus tinanti but not stunning colour but great personalities

IMG_3058.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What about real red forest jewels.These are stunning even when not breeding.They have a nice pair at St Kilda aquarium and generally have fry.Mine should be breeding soon and you can have some fry.They are H guttatus (So Ted Judy from the US says)

IMG_2873.jpg

I love taeniatus although its hard to get a true locality (kienke,dehane,Nigerian forms etc) most (even the german ones) are mixed,but very colouful never the less

I love my Steatocranus tinanti but not stunning colour but great personalities

IMG_3058.jpg

Killi, that is the nicest looking RFJ i have seen in ages, please send me some fry too!!

Wow thats a seriously nice RFJ,a big old male I assume.Have you spawned with him??

According to Ted Judy that fish would be termed a H.guttatus because of the lack of the central body blotch seen in other species and this one also when young

I got him when he was ~4cm from an online fish shop, in that pic he is about 1 year old from memory. I didn't spawn him, as I did the usual newby thing and bought a heap of fish that weren't compatible in my 3' tank (africans, americans, etc), realised as they were growing, then had to readjust the stocking.

I sold him on to someone locally. Not sure how they went with him.

After digging that photo up, I may have to get some more :).

Archived