Aquarium Background

malawi sand diver

Hi all

I am considering putting in a 3D background during the holidays in my 10 foot tank. I have in the past had universal rocks Olgas and others from universal rocks in there, but while they look good, I found it took up a bit too much room in the tank. Also, I have found that over time, water will get behind the background.

I am looking at getting a fairly thin background to maximise tank real estate, like those rolls you see and then just sitting it in there with Texas Holey rock in front of it to hold it in place and then I can get behind it and clean it when needed. Also could use velcro or magnets if needed.

I have seen the following background from AquaTerra, the slimline mesa rockwall that is only an inch thick but it comes from overseas. Considering something like this (last one in the gallery in this link).

http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/gallery.html

Has anyone taken this approach in the past or could recommend a good thin background?

Cheers, Rob

i came across a website that was based in the netherlands that would ship anything over $100 or so euros for free, and i noticed they had back to nature backgrounds... if thats what your looking at i could look for the link...

Todd

Thanks for the info. Both the Back to Nature Slimline & Pangea flatrock would look awesome and seem to be the top 2 of the ones I've seen - more detail in the rock than the ones retailing here.

The only problem is they would cost a fortune for a 10 foot tank but I may consider in future if my financial situation gets better. For the moment I have a couple of flat universal panels I might resurrect currently sitting behind the shed that came with my aquarium when I first got it off ebay. Might see what they look like first then go down the other path if they don't look any good.

I have found that over time, water will get behind the background.

Of course it will, and there is no great problem with that provided it moves around a bit.

Universal Rock I recall can come in a roll (flat) type background in case you didn't know.

Cheers guys. Over the weekend I took out the universal rock background behind the shed. It was previously used in a saltwater setup and had some sort of shell ingrained all over it. So I took out the water gun and spent a couple of hours removing all the shell. Happy with the end result - currently sitting 2x4foot panels in the 10 foot with texas holey rock in front supporting them. Just need an extra 2 foot from somewhere to complete the background. Seems like its the Universal type with quite varying colours in it. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Regards, Rob

Archived