generators

markfnq

i am looking at getting a generator for backup power and to run my tanks. i have been lucky the last couple of years but

living in cairns i am just dodging a bullet. with the wet season about to start we are bound to have a long blackout at some time.

how does a standard generator compare to a sine wave in regards to running sump pumps and cannisters. the last thing i need is

to fry my pumps and cannisters in the middle of a 3 day blackout. ! they are not cheap but i am at a point where it is a must !

we have just had a few minor blackouts and i need to move on this. how long would a sump last before damage is done to the bio ?

also what steps can i take to minimize damage ?

cheers .........mark

Hi Mark.

If you are only going to use it to run your tanks than a standard generator should be ok. Although if you can afford the extra $$$ for a sine wave (inverter) generator than I would recommend it as you would be able to run modern home appliances if need be. Inverter generators should also have a more stable output so you have less chance of getting voltage or current spikes that may damage your pumps etc.

i have a honda eu 20 and have used it on my fishroom and appliances in the house.having two outlet plugs makes it easy,one went into the house for fridge freezer and a couple of lights,the other still had enough power to run my big air pump some canisters and a couple of heaters......sumps and canisters seem to be okay for only a couple of hours turned off,then problems start.

stay away from two stroke.

Archived