Buying a Camera online

obsessed1

Hi,

I've priced a Nikon P500 in Domayne for $560, JB Hifi for $497 and online between $350 - $400 including shipping + 1yr warranty. So far I've found DWI, Global, Techrific, Topbuys and Citiwide to have the better prices and was wondering if anyone has dealt with any of them before and if there are any downsides I should be aware of when buying a camera cheaper online (warranty etc).

Any help would be great,

Thanks, Ben

Try to avoid "grey imports" and items shipped Hong Kong/China from sellers using .com.au website cause it will be painful if you have warranty issues

Do a bit of googling of the name of the companies you'll looking at and you should quickly find any tales of woe from unhappy campers.

Using Static Ice the cheapest I found was $299 but I don't know anything about the sellers and if they're Aussie stock or grey imports

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Nikon+P500+&spos=3

The local price on these seems to be pretty good, even from B & H in New York it would be more expensive which doesn't happen often for camera gear.

I checked on the one I thought I had narrowed it down to "Becextech" and it seems that these like all the others I've found are 'grey imports'... Is this just how it is when buying this kind of stuff online and how bad is this?

I know a trained photographer from university who has bought from DWI. Didn't have problems and recommended them to me.

John

Thanks John. I had a look at a heap of reviews for DWI and most of them were positive. I decided to give them a go (fingers crossed).

I bought the Nikon Coolpix P500, a second battery and also opted for express delivery and got it all for $382.50 which is $114.50 cheaper than the price of just the camera at JB Hi-Fi (Jb were the cheapest store locally).

Thanks heaps to everyone on this thread and the other one I started for all your input.

I'll update this thread with delivery time, customer service etc in case anyone else has this type of question.

Thanks again, Ben :spaz:

Archived