Members Lake Malawi Water Conditions

Teki

I have used the epsom and bicarb method to great success a few years back with YT aceii and salousi. However i will copy a post from a different forum contradicting my thoughts. Also i use Johns recipe and no idea what the readings are but the fish are happy and so am i as $10 will not send me broke :)

Quoting Mrbigsby

WOW!!!!!

guys seriously, dont just go throwing advice out without testing.

these ARE the effects of each:

-bicarb, will raise ph and kh, although in its raw form without calcium and potassium anions is extremely unstable in dose:effect, and effect:time...-just use a good african kh buffer, el cheapo prices get el cheapo results, HONESTLY.

-epsom (magnesium)- again without the correct anions and buffers this is only a part of the story. This is good as a diarrhetic, use 1 tbl spoon per 37-40litres of water to treat float/bloat, or clear the tracts of your fish once every couple months for general good health. This is an incomplete and unacceptable way to raise GH at the doses you see on the net, and doesnt not serve any other purpose in the aquarium. Tanganyika is relatively low in magnesium!

uniodized salt (without anti-caking agents found in food salts) is good in a haspitol tank for treatment of torn fins or body injury...will not aid in cure of parasites, good for cuts, grazes, cloudy eye, torn fins. Add 2 drops/100ltrs of tea tree oil for a more complete anti septic (natural healing esturies like mangroves are often also tea tree enriched). tea tree acts as a very subtle antifungal, and subtle pain releif with a numbing effect.

DO NOT TREAT PROBLEMS THAT DONT EXIST.

for normal maintenance use tap water, prime/safe/whatever for dechlorinator, and test ph/kh/nitrate, if the ph/kh drop use some tang buffers at 1/4 doses with testing in between... tangs are fine over 7.5, 8-9ph is not 100% necessary.

If nitrate is present at harmful levels after your water change, get more biological filtration and waterchange more water more often!

simple

clean fresh water will prevent disease, make your fish grow faster, and promotes spawning (for breeding, best before rain on an increase of boa metric pressure, with slow trickled cold water only to simulate rain).

-bicarb, will raise ph and kh, although in its raw form without calcium and potassium anions is extremely unstable in dose:effect, and effect:time...-just use a good african kh buffer, el cheapo prices get el cheapo results, HONESTLY.

I am not talking elcheapo, I am talking currently $25 for a container that last maybe 10 water changes. Kinda over the top.

What are the african KH buffers ? I have only seen ones that raise both KH and GH

25 for the propper ph, what I was saying is even half of what I am currently paying couldn't be called elcheapo.

bicarb was mentioned by someone else.

But after a lot of research I think bicarb is the alternative I was after. It does the exact same thing as the propper PH at a fraction of the cost. (Talking KH and PH here, not GH)

Sodium Bicarb will only raise the PH if you do not get the KH over 4 KH then the PH level will drop.

25 fror bicarb... go to a pool shop or supermarket. Or speak to Johns here and he may be abe to help you out with a cheaper product

I can post my Rift lake salt if you are interested.

Cheers John

Moreafter KH

Sodium Bicarb will only raise the PH if you do not get the KH over 4 KH then the PH level will drop.

I can post my Rift lake salt if you are interested.

Cheers John

Are you sure about that ? All of the research I have done has said Bicarb is Primarily for KH adjustment.

It will raise PH, but only to a maximum of 8.2-8.4 much like Proper PH 8.2

using bi-carb is not a set and forget though. it is not stable and ph may drop after a day or so. whereas using proper salts like johns stuff will maintain values for much longer and be much more stable.

after all, we are trying to achieve a stable water chemistry rather than go up and down trying to maintain an ideal figure.

i am also using johns salt and cant say anything bad about it. very reasonable priced and seems to be working well with all fish breeding and displaying very well and in great health. cant wait to try the tang salts and buffer and fish focus foods!

cheers,

mat

• 2 weeks later...

I use the bi-carb, epsom salt and marine salt recipe. Have done so for 7 or more years, all fish breed like flies. My water is ph 8.4 kh 10-12 gh 12-14, i keep Malawi, Tanganyika and Victorians in this water. The bi-carb is used to raise the kh and in turn raises the ph. cheers steve

• 2 weeks later...

WE HAVE INTERESTING PARAMETERS IN ADELAIDE. GH IS VERY HIGH. SO HIGH THAT IT IS VIRTUALLY IMMEASURABLE USING NORMAL HOME TESTING. ON THE OTHER HAND, OUR KH IS ALMOST NON EXISTENT. TO STABILISE, I STORE MY WATER IN 3X 220LTR. BINS WHICH HAVE CORAL SAND IN THE BOTTOM. THIS ELIMINATES THE KH PROBLEM. HOWEVER, I THINK THAT, EVEN THOUGH OUR WATER FROM THE TAP IS AROUND PH 7.1, AND THE CORAL SAND ELEVATES IT CONSIDERABLY, I GET A LITTLE CONCERNED THAT I OCCASIONALLY GET READINGS OF AROUND PH 9.0.

THE FISH SEEM HAPPY ENOUGH AND COLOURS ARE GREAT, BUT WAS TOLD RECENTLY THAT I'LL SEND THEM TO AN EARLY GRAVE IF I DON'T DO AWAY WITH THE CORAL GRAVEL.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS

CHEERS CAFA

Archived