EB dempseys

killiguy

• 2 weeks later...

I cant claim any skill with these fish.The only difficulty is to get a reasonable proportion of EB fry.The dempsys that bred for me were normal looking and behaving(ie simple to breed)but carry the gene for EB type.

The best coupling is an EB male with a carrier female,this results in 50%EB fry.EB females are unable to produce viable eggs so cant be used.

I inherited these fish and actually prefer the normal Dempsy,Id forgotten how nice they are

50% electric blue jack dempsey. And 50% normal jack dempsey carrying the gene for eb

Electric blue females are not fertile or produce dud eggs

Best pairing is an electric blue jack dempsey male with a normal jack dempsey female that has the electric blue gene

Hope that helps clear it up

Yep to all that

The electric gene is a simple Mendelian recessive gene.The only complication is you cant cross 2 EB fish because the females dont produce normal eggs.Carriers of the gene are identical to their normal siblings so if you didnt know the breeding history you would have no idea

The fry are free swimming and all look identical at this stage

III keep you posted and take some photos along the way

Dad id below for those who havent seen it

IMG_2852.jpg

My pair of splits have spawned this week as well, now the fun begins raising them :)

A couple of things i have heard and noticed to a point (wondering if others have as well)

Fry that seems to be carrying the EB gene appear to be much darker barred in colour compared to normals. Stand out in the crowd basically.

Growth rate is very painfully slow in the blue EB compared to splits and normals and need to be seperated as the others grow faster, otherwise most of them finish up being food for the splits and normals ???

about 1/2cm you can tell

seen them up Brisbane from a breeder up there a few years ago

he was only getting about 25% E blues

plenty of info on them on the net if you look

If you breed two spilts you will get 25% normal, 25% splits and 25% EB.

If you manage to get an EB male to spawn with a split you get 50% spilts and 50% EB.

So my question is that can you tell a split from a normal by growth rate? I see a potential problem arising because some people will want to try to breed normal JDs, but offspring from the 1st method with be floating around fish tanks without anyone knowing 100% what they are. And then there will be normals bred with splits and then down the track EBs will pop up unexpectedly. Now is this a problem or not?

cant see how it will be a problem in any way if there are fish floating around carrying the recessive EB gene. realistically, if you are breeding 2 jds that are splits and you dont realise it, the fry will be left to their own devices. Given the eb fry grow slower, the chances are that they wont make it through, and if they do I dont really think anyone would be complaining too much.

From what i can gather, normals grow faster than anything with EB gene,

Fish carrying the EB gene that are not showing the full colouring are generally darker than the normals, this is based on fish fed the same foods, from the same spawn.

Although normals and splits fed on a colour enhancer should also show different colouring, and therefore should still be able to tell them apart ?

Breeding splits and normals is not a problem as they are not a hybrid in the first place, they should only produce normals and splits ?

When a mutation occurs, it can affect genes around the site of the mutation too. Other genes affected may not change the appearance, just but might change the functioning of metabolism for example. When you get normals out of a split-split cross they will carry some genes not in the wild type genome. They just aren't EB.... So when these go back into general circulation they carry these genes. A true to type breeder may not want these genes in his or her fish.

Archived