Plants with my cichlids

ezat

Hello all,

I have a couple of Anubius plants in my 3 footer and Ive noticed that they do not grow well in the tank even though i give them a lot of light. I believe that the lights are of the right type.

Wondering if Co2 would help. I know that it does drop the ph but looking at this video http://youtu.be/_p9I-3ONmiY got me thinking.

Also as of yesterday, ive planted them in the substrate now where before they were tied to a rock.

Im quite new to it all and would like to see if the co2 injection works or should i just run another tank purely with the reason of growing them

ezat

Anubias are slow growing plants that do not like a lot of light. If you get holes or leaf burning then you have too much light. Some varieties of anubias get larger and grow slightly faster than others.

Ill take some pics. One of the leaves, it looks like its gone white on the edges.

Anubis is the only plant that wont get fully destroyed in a cichlid tank

But it will still get picked at and eventually all you have left is a stem lol

Fake plants for cichlids otherwise its just food

depend on the species of cichlid, i keep rainbow cichlids and sevs which are both known for eating plants, they both wont touch java fern, or java moss, however my sev eats new shoots off my anubias, and as a juvie i put him in a planted tank and he made a mess of it

anubias grows best if you keep the stem part(rhizome) above the substrate, if you cover it in gravel its been known to rot away and die. i've had them growing well on the gravel but never below

a heavily planted tank like the one in your video would need co2 to thrive,

as Joller has noted anubias grow best above the gravel , you can tie them to rocks or driftwood with twine, as with java fern never plant them , they need water movementa across the plant , low light is best for these guys , hard or soft water does not seem to make a difference

i found my annubias did best on a driftwood but wheneveri tied something down it just didnt want to work. what i had to do was wedge it in a gap somewhere in my driftwood then it would grow nicey after a week or 2 of settling in. u will also find that roots may grow from the uperside of the plant, easy. just turn the plant around and it should attach itself fairly fine and you wont have any troubles.

Archived