4x2x2 tank stand planning

joller

hey guys, started planning my tank stand, i havnt built much in my life so im after advice so heres my plan

IPB Image

im gonna build the whole thing out of 70x35 radiata pine from bunnings, which should cost me about $35

if anyone has done this before please let me know, i would also like to see alternative plans

thanks, joel.

Hey Joel,

If I were you I'd put a couple more struts across the top to spread out the weight? I have a 4x2x2 at home and the stand has 5 horizontal struts across the top and a similar structure to yours.

HTH, Hammo

This is my stand, just upto Getting some enamel paint and coating it

IPB Image

that was an old pic, I've since added another timber piece at the front and back between the top and bottom peices to stop the front from bowing. Also finished the bottom bracing, but taken it out cause the sump wont fit lol

thought it would help lol

that thing is a unit! what size is the wood? and what size tank is it for?

ive redone my design because the joints on the corners werent very good, the corner with 2 verticals is to accommodate the weir

IPB Image

IMHO 90x45 for the legs is fine, 6 legs in total and 90x35 for the rest of the stand.

You last sketch has an extra leg. If in doubt duck down to you local fish shop and see what they have in stock. That will give you plenty of ideas.

id go with some uprights between your top and bottom frames. one at each corner and one in the middle front and back.

or better still you could go two in each corner. that way it would allow the load on the top horizontal members to be transferred through the upright timber, rather than placing all the stress on the bolts/screws.

Archived