What size hole,pump and sump?

Elapid

I am planning on making a single tier rack to hold 6x 2 footers. I want the tanks to sit so the sides are facing forwards to fit more on a single tier. It will be raised enough to allow me to have a sump underneath.

It will be about 400 litres all up

What size hole will I need to drill in each tank?

What size pump should I use?

What size tank will I need for a sump?

Thanks

It will be about 400 litres all up

What size pump should I use?

The entire tank volume should be turned over 5-6 +/- a bit, ever hour. Find a pump that can move that water at the head height the system will see it pumping to.

What size hole will I need to drill in each tank?

Once you've bought the pump, match the plumbing to the pumps inlet and outlet (sometimes different), but drill the holes in the tank one size up than is required, and when bulkheading, plumb through the hole and plumb the fitting down to match the pumps plumbing sizes. Tha way if you change the pump in the future for what ever reason, and it requires larger holes sizes that previous pump, it will be a simple matter to put in the bigger bulkheads.

What size tank will I need for a sump?

As big as you can fit. Make sure that the running water level is low enough so that when the power is off, and the water back siphons into sump, that the sump can handle the water volumne. Any water above the lowest outlet from the tank will back siphon into the sump. Calculate this water volume to get total back siphon amount (LxBxH H=bottom of lowest outlet point to water level above this point).

Sumps configuration will impact on backflow capacity.

I would probably plan to have 19mm so a 25-32mm hole. I have 25mm bulkheads in my 2x18x18 tanks and they work a treat. In the standard 2' tank it might be excessive to for 25mm bulkhead I am not sure as I have not plumbed tanks to that size other may help there.

What you need to try and work out when it comes to sumps is that need to work the approximate amount of water that each tank will use between the top of the tank riser and the top of the tank so (l)x (w) x (h)/1000 * 6 (because you have 6 tanks). Once you have that approximate figure then you can work out how much water your sump has to at least contain so it doesn't overflow once the power goes off.

Then you have to work out how much water the pump needs to be covered (unless you have a pump that can run outside of the sump. Once you have that you can work the minimum sump size.

As an example, I have am planning a 4x18x18 rack with 1 4x18x18's divided and plumbed into 3 sections and 2 2x18x18's on it as well. I have 25mm bulkheads for the outlets and 20mm inlet plumbing each with taps to control the flow in. The sump I have is approx 2x18x18 and a matrix style pump with an OR3500 running the system. I believe that this will be enough based, on these calcs, using a matrix sump to run the system.

Other systems that I have running are a 3x18x18 system with 4 3x18x18's with 3x18x18 matrix sump with a 6000 hour pump and it works a treat. I also have 2 systems that have a divided 6x2x18 and 3 2x18x18's on them with the same 3x18x18 matrixsump and a laguna 7500 on them.

HTH

rosco

Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it.

I am going to try 25mm holes, I still need to make the rack.

Any suggestions on timber thickness for the rack? It will only be single tier with the sump underneath.

Sorry for all the questions but as you can probably see I don't have a clue..

70x35 should be enough, but 90x45 isnt much more expensive for the extra bulk and peace of mind

Thanks bud,

What are the best joints to use, can I safely construct it so I don't need any special joints? I am a novice with all things building :B

I am going to try 25mm holes,

and if you get a pump thatneeds bigger plumbing?

This question of "whatsize pluming and pump etc comes up time and time again, and the answer reallyis a no-brainer!

The pump you use will havebeen designed by an engineer, or copied from a pump designed by an engineer.That means the plumbing size needed for optimum water movement is a knownfactor.

What is not known is whatpump you will buy/use.

So, get the horse beforethe cart, and it might sound a little strange, but from this position, one ofyour key decisions, and a really easy one to calculate, and a decision that a lotwill hang off, is the pump you use. So to get the horse out front, pick yourpump now, in the planning stages, (at least do some research on it) and match the plumbing from this. "I amgoing to try 25mm holes" is like pinning the tail on the donkey with ablind fold on. Total the volume of all your tanks as mentioned, and see whatpump volume you will need for the turnover rate. A 25mm hole might be right, but knowing and guessing are different.

Elapid, you may be a novice with all things building, but you CAN do this, it's pencil and paper. Come back with your conclusions and we'll agree with them or shoot them down (in a nice way). ;)

@pauldog; thanks for the comment :thumb

I haven't decided yet, I am looking around online.

There is a huge range and huge price differences between them but I understand the price dictates quality.

I actually just finished construction of the rack yesterday, I went with 3x 2 foot rather than 6 as I think my initial plans were a little ambitious.

I still need to:

-Source one more tank

-Drill holes

-Build sump

-Plumbing

-Find sump pump

Will keep everyone updated!.

I have 2 more questions about the setup.

Would I be better using the simple overflow method or using stand pipes? It will be in the garage at the other end of the house so noise isn't an issue.

Secondly are their any good tutorials on building your own sump? I would like to make one with baffles and do it properly but all the ones I have found on google are plastic tub type setups.

Thanks again guys!

• 2 months later...

what is the "simple overflow method" Elapid? You mean a tank with a weir? If it is weir Vs standpip, it would probably really be a personal call and other factors may dictate which is the one to use.

Regarding sump building tutorials, I have no links to that, but if you want to build your own, put a few disigns up here for comments.

Looking at the dates of this thread, you may gone past this point anyway, so sorry for my late reply.

Archived