Surprise.. I'm a girl

Jodannar

Last night i got home form work. Looked in the "all male" display tank and discovered a Peacock with a mouthfull. Was definately a surprise to me. Fish is moderately coloured; not to a sub dominant male state, but much more than a regular female.

I didnt notice any breeding behaviour in the tank in the past few weeks, however it does explain the slight increase in agression overall in the tank. The fry are almost guaranteed to be hybrids, I did have 2 "males" of the species, but cant guarantee thats the pair that bred.

Should I strip the fry and dispose - I have never stripped a fish before - or Let nature take its course and the fry hatch... to be eaten by the other males.

Debate wasnt to keep or not keep. Definate hybrids so they will be disposed of. Just a matter of whether it was worth stripping her to confirm all the fry were disposed of, rather than have a fingerling come out of a rock in 2 months time.

I will probably need to move the newly confirmed mother on to someone; she would be a very popular girl in that tank; and as such not too happy

Looks like you got some feeder fry there....

Some of the suppliers in the industry use a hormone/colour enhancing food on Misc peacocks, electic blues etc. This ensures that the fish show colour at 4 to 5cm and are therefore easy to sell.

However it also has the negative effrct of falsely colouring females.

Keep an eye for this, always look for specific species not multiple species in one tank to avoid this.

Archived