size to sell fish?

Adam_J

Hi Adam,

4 to 5cm is a fair size to sell kribs and most other cichlids.

If you haven’t sold many fry in the past you might like to consider this:

Most fry are sold to your LFS, over the internet (ACE or similar) or through clubs like the NSW Cichlid Society.

If selling to your LFS it is common practice to ask for 50% of retail if you are willing to accept credit for goods to be purchased in that LFS or 1/3 of retail if you want cash. For example; if the LFS is selling kribs for $15 each you should be looking for $7.50 per fish in store credit or $5.00 per fish cash (always negotiable).

If selling through ACE I always asked for the same money as I was getting from the LFS.

Selling at the NSWCS is usually via auction (they occasionally have a ‘table sale’ night). Auction results are variable but are often better than you will get from your LFS.

Fish breeders like you, who live in Wingham or other regional areas, have their own problems; the LFS is usually a general pet shop with high prices and a limited turnover and they couldn’t possibly sell all the fish you are able to breed. Hence you have to look further afield for sales. And this may require price reductions and/or bulk sales.

But selling fish too cheap devalues the effort you’ve put into breeding quality fish and can make you unpopular with other breeders :blink

I do think $0.50 for a krib is waaay too cheap, but then I do live in Sydney with plenty of sales options :8

Anyway, good luck with the sale.

Cheers,

Lee.

Archived