10x2x2.5 journal

markfnq

i thought i would start from scratch so you get the idea

IPB Image

just the rock pics from the other post

IPB Image

me trying to look bossy doing nothing when really i was crapping my pants :shock:

IPB Image

tank safe and sound some new pics to come :yes:

IPB Image

the stand almost complete

IPB Image

under stand i will be reinforcing with some structual stud for piece of mind

IPB Image

some background ideas im playing with not going the 3d internal still moulding foam but will have it outside

IPB Image

hole at base of wier this is when the thinking starts :confused: and the questions begin :thumbup::thumbup:

IPB Image

the crappy plastic sump setup i will have to make do with for a while 4 tubs i it has baffles but need to

get the most out of it. anyone got any ideas??? dont say empty them out and put some ice and beer

in there cause i have already heard that one . :lol3: cheers mark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interested in the plastic sump setup.. was looking at doing something similar for fish room but unsure on how to setup baffles.. did u just cut plastic and silicone it to the sides?

it came with the tank it wouldnt be so bad if it was just 2 tubs.they are all bridged with holes.

I will post some more pics of it later ,in more detail

.I think i can make it work at a push but may have to modify a bit.

havent given up on a glass sump just yet. but then i have to modify the stand a bit so its a catch 22 :confused: but then im bound by a size of 14in wide x18in h,but can be any length.and i would

much prefer a glass sump.

just some malawis from an existing tank for now. I will be in brisbane at xmas hoping santa comes through. :lol1: It will be a mixed bag of what i have till it all settles in. But a tank this size there are plenty of options. one day further down the track a big colony of tangs possibly. oh yeh the tank did come from malawi mick nice bloke and very helpfull with getting the big momma up here safe. mick has a large breeding setup in bris so will be paying him a visit at xmas .....cheers mark

But a tank this size there are plenty of options. one day further down the track a big colony of tangs possibly.

:clap:thumb:thumbup:

IPB Image

heres some pics of the tub setups .with a bit of modifying it might work :confused::dntknw::confused:

im trying to convince myself so i dont rush out and get a big glass sump.....yet :lol1:

IPB Image

there is plenty of baffles in them but i would drill more holes between tubs to improve flow, and if i have enough room a trickle box over each end with bio balls where water enters the sump. i think it needs it as all media will be submerged in the sump the way it is. Was going to fill overflow chamber with balls as well. I would set up a fail proof setup to prevent any mishaps from a stray ball :shock:

don't know how much room you have under the cabinet with the sump, but i have used plastic sumps with a bio tower made from 255cm pipe with a end cap about 2ft high full of matrix at bottom where under water and bio balls on top with foam the stop to much crap going in with a seprate pump in the sump pumping up into the bio tower, cheap but did the job well, don't get me wrong there are better ways for doing a sump, but just something that has woprked for me

tank looks great how many light has it got in the hood

If you're coming to brisbane, I can help you out with getting most Tanganyikan cichlids :)

I saw Wickkyjrs Dads setup of the exact same tank, pretty sure he's even using the exact same plastic containers

did he do any modifications? the holes joining the tubs seemed a bit small, i was going to make them larger.

what did he use in overflow box . i havent decided yet may put a durso in. still messing about with the plumbing. try to get all the bits and pieces together. i would still like to have some sort of trickle system in place. it was suggested to have another pump in the sump running to a box then back to the sump, but not sure how that will effect flow in the sump itself,not much room left under the cabinet the tubs are quiet high

• 2 weeks later...

its taking awhile but im getting there :yes: alot of work pulling down the other tank shifting the fry tanks

and setting up in the garage that will be my prime place of residence soon if my wife has her way :p

cleaned the water stains of the priced china cabinet that sat beside my 4x2x2.5 that also housed my two fry tanks. it was more of a mission packing that up and getting it in another room :blink along with the 35 dinner plates ,the 6 sets of wine glasses and the tea set that has never seen a drop of tea :roll but it all had to stay every chipped plate cup and saucer.so that was job number one :yes: happy wife = more tanks and more fish :lol1: istuck with the tubs and made a few changes, made some boxes to sit on top just have to pack the sumps give it a run in the yard ,place in cabinet. sumps have to be in position as there is no room to put them in the ends.i think i will set the bulkhead pictured in with the siv facing up at least i can put a standpipe on if need be, but the hole is about 120 mm above base of tank so might get abit of gunk in the bottom. i also braced the cabinet with some studwork just to be on the safe side.so it wont be that long and i will have her on the stand :thumbup:

IPB Image

slooowly getting there

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am such a knuckle head :B wanted to add some more pics so i deleted my album and lost most of the pics for my post. not long to go now gave the tank a final vac and wash placed sumps under cabinet. did a little plumbing in the cabinet. was hoping to have it on the stand next weekend but my wife wants to go camping :dntknw: Iam pleased with the tank its well made there is threaded rod in the hood base as well as the standard glass braces the hood base is molded in one piece. cant wait to get some water in it and get under way. going to put a cannister on it to help kickstart the cycle and use some dirty wool out of the trickle box. hoping next pic will be it sitting on the stand :thumbup: need plenty of helpers its 380 KG!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

testing one of the two pre filter trays that sit over the sumps

IPB Image

wow what a huge task its all been . none bigger than getting this thing on the stand .any how heres a few more pics

IPB Image

some more of the cut rocks that will go in

getting it in the house was :confused::blink:(:roll not easy two pallet trolleys ramps and alot of patience

then getting 380kg of tank on its stand with limited room was alone a hard process

IPB Image

IPB Image

but a few hours later here she sits :thumbup: had time to put a bit of substrate in .next job pack and plumb

the sump and just add water and put the doors on the cabinet wish it was as easy as that sounds :B but im getting there regards mark

IPB Image

just a few progress pics . tanks half full , happy with the rockscape.

just been working on my background, got the base coat on .wasnt happy with the sample panels

so im trying something different. it will be outside the tank for now too much hassle to have it inside,

it can be epoxy coated and placed in the tank at a later date. i have found there is no need for sand and cement mix, provided its coated with epoxy if it goes in the tank. have found a couple of good ingredients

to get great effects and keeps it lightweight. will post a full tank shot soon.

cheers.... mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hi Mark,

Great tank setup you are creating there.Was thinking about getting a few river rocks cut like you have done,what sort of place could you ask to get stone cut like that?

cheers,Lee

hi lee. being a bricklayer i have a large diamond saw. try a bricky or a paver they might be able to help you out. beware ! try use sedimentry rocks to cut if you can they are softer,stuff like black basalt is very hard to cut but if you have the patience you can cut anything, use plenty of water on the blade.

good luck! mark

Archived