Cheap filter for 3ft (140l) breeding tank

brogdenelian

Hi all,

I am setting up 3 x new 3 footers and need advice on the the most efficient and effective way to filter each tank.

I am looking at keeping a small colony ( approx 8) mbuna in each tank and was after peoples opininios on filter setups.

At this stage I need to keep it as cheap as possible as the current budget just wont stretch enough to allow for external canisters etc.

I was thinking along the lines of hang on's, sponges, internal filters etc..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Josh

The foam was from germany... shipping was expensive, but I have since seen similar stuff available more cheaply in Oz.

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/...mp;c=hobby+pump

2 large air lift pumps would be more than adequate. I use 2 small ones on a 3ft. Shipping on those wouldn't be too much. But a Dulpa seller here should be able to get them in.

Sponge was from that online store too.

The foam was from germany... shipping was expensive, but I have since seen similar stuff available more cheaply in Oz.

2 large air lift pumps would be more than adequate. I use 2 small ones on a 3ft. Shipping on those wouldn't be too much. But a Dulpa seller here should be able to get them in.

Struggling to find the sponge online in OZ. Any suggestions?

Struggling to find the sponge online in OZ. Any suggestions?

they sell a coarse filter sponge in clark rubber its blue and would be perfect i recon

The mattenfilter means you can hide the heater behind the sponge. Easy to catch fish without moving too much around. I use terracotta pots in breeding tanks so easy to move. And no rocks in grow outs.

for the uplifts just use pvc pipe i use 25mm add an elbow drill a hole in top so airline can pass through and attach a plastic airstone instant uplift and costs less than buying one.

The mattenfilter means you can hide the heater behind the sponge. Easy to catch fish without moving too much around. I use terracotta pots in breeding tanks so easy to move. And no rocks in grow outs.

Is it true that you're not supposed to clean it?

The article says you aren't supposed to. I have cleaned out 2 sponges that looked grotty, but it took a year to get that way.

Most of the waste falls straight down and gets syphoned out with the regular pwcs.

I have a 4ft bristlenose breeding tank with a matten filter, i use a cheap internal filter to circulate the water. All equipment is behind the filter with the outlet of the pump unit poking through the medium. i bought a piece of foam (Dunlop) from Clark rubber 40x45 cm cost around $30. I have had this running for about a year now with Crystal clear water and not had to clean the foam at all. I also have crystal shrimp on both sides of the mat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-FINE-...=item2eb52e954c

This looks like better sponge 18" x 18"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-COARS...=item2eb1fae1d0

If you need to cut, a bread knife works best.

Thanks again Mattrox,

Just about to bite the bullet and buy some.

You think the course one is close to the density that you're using? I think the fact that the course sponge is 5cm thick would be a good thing as opposed to the 2cm thickness that the fine sponge comes in.

What's your thoughts?

Josh

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-FINE-...=item2eb52e954c

This looks like better sponge 18" x 18"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-COARS...=item2eb1fae1d0

If you need to cut, a bread knife works best.

Thanks again Mattrox,

Just about to bite the bullet and buy some.

You think the course one is close to the density that you're using? I think the fact that the course sponge is 5cm thick would be a good thing as opposed to the 2cm thickness that the fine sponge comes in.

What's your thoughts?

Josh

Go for the coarse sponge. The gunk is supposed to be pulled through behind the sponge anyway, coarse will let that happen. 5cm thick is good for surface area.

• 3 weeks later...

Done.... :)

Thanks for your help Mattrox....You saved me a fortune.

Check out the pics below!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheap as chips! Hopefully it works OK.

Cheers

awesome bang for buck filter!

im not comfortable with only having sponge filters in my breeding tanks and i was looking into adding side drops but this takes up less space, any reasons why side drops would be beneficial over these mattenfilters?

Not sure I'm getting enough flow?

I measured that I'm only turning over approx 120l/h using the two uplifts. I am using 2 x 19mm irrigation pipes and running a decent amount of air into them. I even tried using 2 pumps connected to the one uplift and the change to the flow seemed insignificant.

I believe that I should should be aiming anywhere between 4-6 turnovers per hour? The tank is 120 litres.

Any suggestion on what I could do to increase the water flow??

Cheers

Josh

Mattenfilters require low flow through them to maximise biological filtration. All waste is removed by vaccuuming. I have run them as the only filtration on 5 x 3ft tanks for a very long time. Your flow looks fine.

They are a comletely different proposition to power filters which run best on high turnover rates.

Mattenfilters require low flow through them to maximise biological filtration. All waste is removed by vaccuuming. I have run them as the only filtration on 5 x 3ft tanks for a very long time. Your flow looks fine.

They are a comletely different proposition to power filters which run best on high turnover rates.

Sweet...Thanks Matt. I appreciate all you help!

Josh

Archived