Display 6x2x2 and 8x2x2

JayT

I'd try 1 canister and an internal like an otto 2000l/h, see how it goes. If nitrates too high, obviously just do a water change. More filtration really only allows for less maintenance. If you don't mind doing increased water changes there are no probs! If it gets too much, chuck another canister on. That way you'll give yourself some idea of what the canister can handle which will help you with your 8' project. What I'm saying is, see how it goes and manage it from there, it's not like you're going to lose them all overnight. Maybe just run an air pump for back - up, will keep everything going long enough for you to replace filter should it craP itself overnight without being aware.

I've often wondered how these http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...311&catID=6 would perform, bit of a unknown brand but capable of pumping out some serious lph for a bloody reasonable price.

Jon

Thanks for the comments John - noted. Have not heard of that internal before and will check it out.

I'd not seen the canisters you provided the link to before but can see where your coming from for sure.

Odyssea CFS-700 2600lph + 9w UV

Anyone have any experience with these ?

It would be better to use two quality canisters or a sump but if your set on trying to get away with a single cannister and internal don't bother with a cheapy internal with minimum media space, go for a quality unit like a Fluval U4 that has plenty of space for media and supplement flow with some wavemakers (steer away from alot of the eBay units, look on age of aquariums for hydor koralia: a good mid priced unit)

It would be better to use two quality canisters or a sump but if your set on trying to get away with a single cannister and internal don't bother with a cheapy internal with minimum media space, go for a quality unit like a Fluval U4 that has plenty of space for media and supplement flow with some wavemakers (steer away from alot of the eBay units, look on age of aquariums for hydor koralia: a good mid priced unit)

cheers - will check out the fluval U4. Will also check out the wavemakers as i've never used them before.

i may end up going for two eheim 2217's plus an internal yet ......

interesting article i found on fluval fx5 vs eheim 2080

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopi...mp;&start=0

liking the look of eheims at the moment and looking closer into the following models;

2217's

2260's

pro3e 2078's

pro 3e 2080xl's

pro 3e 2180xlt's

• 2 months later...

I read a side by side comparison of fx5 and Eheim on monsterfish. There was little performance difference other than flow rate.

Remember that flow rate is not everything. Water needs to travel slowly past media for optimum conversion of ammonia and nitrite. The wide diameter of the case of the fx5 aids this. And media capacity is over rated. Bacteria grow to the amount of food not amount of surface area. Too much media is not a problem apart from the cost to fill up a canister. There are a lot of furfies out there to help you part with your money. If you are debating 2 fx5s or 2 Eheims you will get great (identical) filtration from both but for me the decision comes down to what option is more wallet friendly.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Well after sometime away from the forum and adjusting to the shift interstate and parenthood for the second time, i'm established here in WA and finally have the first of the two display tanks setup.

The 6x2x2 is up and running. I ended up going with x2 Eheim 2228 Pro's plus an 800 l/p/h Sicce Shark ADV internal powerhead (these are new to the Aus market i think?)

Setup the tank and let it run for a week and a half without fish (treated with Prime, Stress-Zyme and used gravel that already has bacterial cultures) and have just added a couple of fish yesterday to get the cycle going properly.

Have a query in that i am getting nitrate readings yet i'm yet to get any nitrite readings?

The fish seem to be fine although doing a bit of rubbing on the substrate which i would attribute to the high ammonia levels and will be doing 25% water changes and treating with Prime/Stresszyme every x3 days for the next two or three weeks as the water chemistry balances itself.

Ammonia between 0.25 & 0.5ppm (to be expected) nitrite 0 and nitrate around 2.5ppm ? This is unusual yeah?

Regards,

JayT

Archived