Weird bristlenose behaviour

andrew.vid

hi all,

i have a bristle nose tank and they are all about 4cm, but ever since this morning they are just staying on one side of the tank where the heater and external filter outlet is. the temp. is 25 degrees Celsius everywhere in the tank even on the other side?? why are they doing this? and there are also some guppies in there that are also hanging around on that side?

is this normal?

hi all,

i have a bristle nose tank and they are all about 4cm, but ever since this morning they are just staying on one side of the tank where the heater and external filter outlet is. the temp. is 25 degrees Celsius everywhere in the tank even on the other side?? why are they doing this? and there are also some guppies in there that are also hanging around on that side?

is this normal?

to me it would indicate a temp difference , but as you have said the tank is even throughout. Maybe turn up the heat to 26? Or i run 2 heaters in mine , 1 at each end. Look forward to others thoughts

thanks for your suggestions and i might just try using two heaters, also no there is a bit of sun but again evenly spread throughout the tank coming from the front and yes they do come down to eat, they are starting to move around a bit more but other than that they seem healthy and fine to me.

and also what is the best size of bristlenose to be giving them adult doses of medication? as my other tank of BN's have Ich (white spot) they are currently 4-5cm, is it ok to give them a full dose or a dose of half for babies? i have already given them a half dose to start treating them.

and also what is the best size of bristlenose to be giving them adult doses of medication? as my other tank of BN's have Ich (white spot) they are currently 4-5cm, is it ok to give them a full dose or a dose of half for babies? i have already given them a half dose to start treating them.

some others may disagree but once BN's reach around 4-5cms i would / have always treated with the full dosage without having any problems - i suppose it depends on the medication your using.

IMO treating with half doses (so long as they are not really young fry or scaleless fish) can be a pointless excercise. With most Ich treatments, you will usually need to treat with a second dose to catch the parasite during it's various stages, however, always follow the instructions of the specific medication your using.

Like i said - others may hold a different opinion though. HTH

Archived