Seeding New Tank?

Yabbie Dabbie Do

Just filled my new 3ft tank with 70% of water from my tank that has been running for two years. Toped up the other 30% with tap water and added prime. Then rinsed my filter pad in the new 3ft tank making it go all murky.

How long should I run a carbon pad in my filter for now?

When should I do its first water change and how much?

How long before I can put fish in it?

Sounds like you just did a water change. Do you have a seeded filter or gravel from the old tank to add to make sure. Sounds to me like you can add them now. I have done this in the past and have not had losses.

agree with the other guys - given you've just added 70% of the water from a well established tank, i would just give it a day or two to clear up then do a complete water chemistry test. If all good then your good to go.

What type of filtration are you using?

There is not a high concentration of bacteria in the water column, but by squeezing your old sponge in you have added enough bacteria. If you are using a canister or similar you can cut out a small piece of your established filter pad and put it ontop of the new filter and it will seed it even quicker.

I'd check parameters and add fish slowly over the next few days if all tests are ok. You are better off easing into it rather than filling the tank in one go.

You can do a 30% water change after a week and then re seed the tank or add some stability, it's great stuff!

Mat

Thanks for the info guys. Going to get a complete chemistry test tomorrow and if everything is ok I will add fish. Im only putting my breeding pair of kribensis in there so they should be fine.

If its not too late get yourself a API Total Freshwater test kit, does all the basics ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate then also pick up a kit to test both kh and gh :thumb

water chem is everything :yes:

Archived