New to plants, need a bit of input please.

Priscacara

G'day, I have a 4x2x2 tank that I want to change a fair bit from what it is now with just fish.

At the moment its a mix of orange heads, boseman rainbows, firemouths, G. hecklii, various "catfish", 3 chocolate cichlids, couple of rams and 7 red phantom tetras. The substrate is 3mm gravel, other decor consists of river rocks, fossil wood and real wood. Lighting is a twin T8 fluoro with 'daylight" tubes, I plan on upgrading to led once my tax comes back this year..................unless its NOT reccomended in which case I can change the tubes in the T8 to something more suitable.

The plants I would like to have at least to start off with are a lot of annubias and java fern, maybe some amazon sword. would I need to change the substrate at all and if so to what? I've tried plants in some of my tanks over the past few years with very minimal success, never got the look I was aiming for and a lot of the plants thrived initially but then gave up the ghost a few months on. The substrate is about 2cm thick across the bottom (when the geo's are landscaping it!).

FISH stocking is going to change dramatically. The geos are all going, along with the firemouths, most of the bristlenose and the rams. I'm still trying to decide on whether to have more types of rainbows in which case the chocolates might be staying. The other thing I was thinking of was to get rid of almost everything and lower the ph and hardness down and get some 10cm or so discus along with a few schools of tetras. I would love discus but either option in my minds eye will look good.

I would rather not have to get into using CO2 as my budget just wont allow it.

Any advice and suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Mate head over to Aquariumlife forum. You will get all the answers you need over there.

Im starting a nano planted tank atm and have been on that site for 2 weeks absorbing info off the forums

Goodluck

Im no real expert in plants but have had a low tech set up woth the 3-5mm round gravel and a under gravel filter, The filter was only left there as i was lazy when i got a cannister. However it world perfect as it gave the roots plenty of room to grow and thrive. I had a basic light and kribensis in the tank. Swords and anubias worked aswell as the basic sten plants. Java fern is also almost indestructible and mbuna wont eat it if you decide to replant it.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I just sold the last of the fish that were in the tank and getting ready to strip it down to sterilise.

I looked at the plant packages offered by Aquatic Dreams, the 48" discus package seemed a good offer. Havent been able to contact them about it yet but wont be ready for plants anyway for some weeks so will give me time to do more research.

The last time I had a planted tank I was happy with also had undergravel filters, I think the roots get easier access to nutrients under the plates and can thrive as yours have.

Off to Aquariumlife for a look see, tx again for the input !

Archived