Foam underneath tank?

~matt~

Hi guys, how important is it to have foam underneath a tank? i have just about finished setting up a new tank(5*2*2) and realised i dont have any foam underneath it, just want to know if i really need it before i fill it up.

Thanks Matt

Hi guys, how important is it to have foam underneath a tank? i have just about finished setting up a new tank(5*2*2) and realised i dont have any foam underneath it, just want to know if i really need it before i fill it up.

Thanks Matt

Very important ur tank could crack at the bottom it doesnt have foam. Take it off and put some foam underneath

you sure?

coz im confuse...

have you seen some of the pics from the suppliers in Germany where Grant had his fish imported?

non have had foam!

over hang and all...

there are a few more suppliers in Germany have had their setup WITHOUT foam underneath...

seem to be ok...

i have yet had an answer as to why some do and some dont.

no technical proof from anyone yet

tank builder maybe?

or an engineer of some sort?

or glazier?

hopefully someone on here coz im dying to know

i had foam for all mine tank btw...why take the risk! (so i thought)

The reason for the foam is so it gives an even flat surface for the tank to sit on. We use foam for this as it will compress in spots that have uneven levels therefore not having a pressure point in the tank which may last a while before succumbing.

Foam does not need to go all the way to the edge as I have had tanks running for a long time and missed the outer 10mm with no problems.

Some fish rooms use black rubber under their tanks giving it the impression that no foam is there.

It is ALWAYS best to put something under the tank as I have seen tank bases crack after 24 hours with water in them and no foam under them.

Matt, A while back i had a 6x2x2 which was 10mm thick and 15mm thick on the base , the previous owner didnt have foam and told me it shouldnt be a problem.. i set up the tank and 2 weeks later i had a nice long crack along the back of the tank, water gushing out from the bottom left hand corner , it is a disaster you wouldn't want to experience. GET FOAM ASAP.

Hi

Give you a example you buy a nice fish tank and just put it on a normal table like some do not a made stand and the table is not 100% water proof and starts to bow and crack... goes your tank

what thickness foam do most people use?

i have a just got a slightly smaller and shallower 4 footer built by st george and they sold me and recommend 18mm foam, but in my cabinet i only have clearance for 10mm to hide the bottom of the tank. wondering if the 10mm will be ok? it is sitting on an 18mm marine ply base

what thickness foam do most people use?

i have a just got a slightly smaller and shallower 4 footer built by st george and they sold me and recommend 18mm foam, but in my cabinet i only have clearance for 10mm to hide the bottom of the tank. wondering if the 10mm will be ok? it is sitting on an 18mm marine ply base

10mm seems to be the standard thickness you buy from fish shops. This will be more than adequate considering you are putting it onto an flat ply base

Cheers

James

• 1 month later...

I use cork. I can buy big rolls of it from places like Clark rubber. It's cheap as and works great

putting foam under your tank is just for safe precautions, you do not need it if its on a flat surface and the weight is distributed evenly on all surface. if you are planning on not using foam then make sure the surface that you are putting the tank on is spotless. any little rock or anything will be the weak point and risking the tank cracking.

foam or cork or rubber will be ok if its not hard,, as said

10mm fine unless a big tank

sorry whytri,,, but as you say,,, why would u risk it for $10 or less of foam ?? you crack your tank :confused:

Archived