Kribs have babies!

Adam_J

went to take a photo of my kribs this morning to put up for my avatar , and noticed they were sitting in the middle of a heap of rubbish...

but they were babies!!

i'm stoked , but they picked right under the filter for the nest :blink

there'd be about 50 babies , maybe more , and it's their first breed.

they are a great fish and congrats on fry for the forst spawn. They tend to eat there eggs the first few times. Do you have any other fish in the tank? Kribs will lead the fry on food hunts all over the substrate and you dont want the pair getting defensive of the fry as they will chase other fish. Also hope you have have a stocking over filter intakes as the young will get sucked up very easily. Good luck with them though, they where my first cichlid so i have a soft spot for them :)

they are a great fish and congrats on fry for the forst spawn. They tend to eat there eggs the first few times. Do you have any other fish in the tank? Kribs will lead the fry on food hunts all over the substrate and you dont want the pair getting defensive of the fry as they will chase other fish. Also hope you have have a stocking over filter intakes as the young will get sucked up very easily. Good luck with them though, they where my first cichlid so i have a soft spot for them :)

yeah i've got 2 pair of convicts , 3 forest jewels and a red fin shark , and some common BN , so far they are keeping the other fish away with ease , they have claimed one end of the 4fter.

Grats on the spawn! My pair spawned about 10 days or so ago and I had a similar suprise as you. They are great parents and as krellious has mentioned they take them around the tank on a food hunt a lot, great fun to watch. Unfortunately for the other inhabitants though as I've lost a small appisto, small angel and 3 cardinals. The agression has slowed a real lot, the fry are starting to get a bit adventurous and head off a bit further on their own now so maybe the parents have run out of steam. I've been feeding the fry on thawed out baby brine shrimp a few times a day using a pipette, a couple of times I was sure the parents herding them over knowing what was going on :-).

They are great fun to watch, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

Grats on the spawn! My pair spawned about 10 days or so ago and I had a similar suprise as you. They are great parents and as krellious has mentioned they take them around the tank on a food hunt a lot, great fun to watch. Unfortunately for the other inhabitants though as I've lost a small appisto, small angel and 3 cardinals. The agression has slowed a real lot, the fry are starting to get a bit adventurous and head off a bit further on their own now so maybe the parents have run out of steam. I've been feeding the fry on thawed out baby brine shrimp a few times a day using a pipette, a couple of times I was sure the parents herding them over knowing what was going on :-).

They are great fun to watch, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

awesome , they are my pick of all my fish , nice colours and everyone who visits always comments on them.

bugger me if half of them didnt get sucked into the filter.... luckt they are all still alive and feeding off the sponge lol.... guess i will have to move the otto up the other end of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

note to self... remove fry from 4ft tank once they have hatched so they all wont get eaten by other fish...

i have 2 left , the jewels and shark cleaned them up once they became a bit more free swimming.... oh well lesson learned .

Archived