My fish and toy room..

KIL355

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, not sure what is going in it at the moment, was going to go big S.A and rays..., but may end up big tangs and maybe few malawi?? base glass is black laminate as well as i aint going to put any substrate in it, think it will look cleaner

Was going to be peacock bass and motoro rays??? undicided

Any recomendations????

I have 8 Kigoma fronts 7 - 12cm and 13 Moba fronts 5cm may end up putting them in and go from there... maybe some big tricoti?,

big clown loaches, multipunctatus cats?? just display fish...

Bit of progress, pump hooked up and filter in place..

Will be running 3 x 3 foot twin t5's white and blue, and 2 x big skylights between them... theres also black laminate on side as well to keep the light in..??

IMG_4527.jpg

Performance pro pump, 16000ltrs an hour..

IMG_4528.jpg

Biiiiiiiiiiiiig filter.. pool sand filter, good for 80,000ltr pool... 120kg zeolite...

IMG_4526.jpg

David...

That's an awesome set up mate! Your options are endless. It falls down to what you like.

I have an 8x2.5x2.5 for over 9 years and currently stocked with big Central Americans, clown loaches, S.decorus. I have had malawis, tangs, & SA. Always wanted to have rays but haven't taken the plunge as the tank is quite full already.

I've also thought about using a sand filter but got scared with the power consumption of the pump.

Is the sump going to be filled with media? I don't see any partition. How many watts is the pump?

Keep us posted.

Cheers...

Thanks mate, I think pump is 1-1/4 hp.... no media in the sump, zeolite keeps the nitrates pretty low, and does an awsome job on filtering the water, crystal clear..

Do you have any pics of your tank and tank mates???

Still no idea what to put in there??? Im a little over tangs?? except fronnies...

plumbing and uv is all hooked up ready to go, just letting tank cure for a few more days...

David..

still undecided David!!!

would look awesome with 100+ tropheus in there, get a few different varieties and have some predator tangs to pick off any fry.

or a huge colony of multies!!

although peacock bass would look unreal in a tank that size.

why no substrate? i understand in breeding tanks but for a display tank?

Mate! That is one HUUUUUUGE tank!

If I had a tank that size i would do a malawi setup with tonnes of rocks and sand at the bottom for mbuna and a large open swimming area for big haps! But I can only dream..... :unsure

:happy: Good luck with it, and I'm sure it will look amazing with whatever you decide to put in there :happy:

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks mate, I think pump is 1-1/4 hp.... no media in the sump, zeolite keeps the nitrates pretty low, and does an awsome job on filtering the water, crystal clear..

Do you have any pics of your tank and tank mates???

Still no idea what to put in there??? Im a little over tangs?? except fronnies...

plumbing and uv is all hooked up ready to go, just letting tank cure for a few more days...

David..

Don't have pics but here's a short video taken in July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs26vhm5eb0&feature=g-upl

If there is no media in the sump, what is the purpose then, just to add volume?

Cheers...

Hey mate, great looking tank, nice fat loaches in there.. sump is just a catchment area for now i guess??, and some of the water is bypassed back in there as that pump has so much power.. may put some low partitions in there and do a planted refugium in it..

Stocklist,

13 clown loaches

13 Moba fronts

8 Kigoma Fronts

30cm gold spot pleco

peacock bass mono growing up to add soon..

David..

Sqeeze her Glen, ?? cmon?, im ready when there ready..

Thank you Rob, yeah stand is over kill, the way i like it, and yep 8 footer is a Dalbarb tank... was thinking of putting pump outside and building a cover for it... bit noisy..

Hey Dogboy!!! it was out last summer it didnt heat up at all?? i think the night time cools it back down as well??, but yeah i will build a cover over it soon to protect it... and i cant wait to see lots of fish in it as well...

hope to put 2 x 400mm skylights over it next few weeks, very dark tank as bottom side and back is black...

David

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Any progress on your tank?

Biiiiiiiiiiiiig filter.. pool sand filter, good for 80,000ltr pool... 120kg zeolite...

Is it zeolite sand you are using in your filter?

I noticed Bunnings has 'Poseidon Zeo-Clor'. Apparently it "Filters more finely than regular sand"

Cheers

Joel

Hi Dave

remember to vary the diet with the Cichla or they tend to only want to eat one food

if you just feed something live like shrimp or blackworms or even peeled prawn

Dogboy there won't be a prob with the stand as it's Dexion pallet racking

Joel zeolite is used as an amonia absorbant and like charcaol/carbon there is

a saturation point that once found releases the toxins

diatomatous earth is a fine filter media and use for water purification also it

can filter out white spot as the old Diatom filters claim

if you want more bacterial filtration consider other media like K1, matrix or

bio balls depending on how the system flows as K1 and matrix need to be

submerged with K1 also needing to be in suspenssion but bio balls just need

water flow over them with out being submerged

Joel zeolite is used as an amonia absorbant and like charcaol/carbon there is

a saturation point that once found releases the toxins

diatomatous earth is a fine filter media and use for water purification also it

can filter out white spot as the old Diatom filters claim

Hi Chris,

Yep, I am aware of zeolite. I have some in a stocking in a baffle of my sump although it is alot more coarse than sand.

Reason I raised it was because I'm not sure if Dave is considering using the coarse stuff in the filter. I'm not sure exactly how the pool pump works but was thinking coarse material wouldn't be that great for the pump and you would probably get more longevity using zeolite sand.

He might already be aware of it. Just thought I would point it out. :)

I am also considering setting up a DIY FBF using this stuff, large diameter PVC pipe and a few other things.

Cheers

Joel

Hi Joel

FBF work well but hard to get the flow right in the pipe

as you can't see the amount of suspension in the media

and too much will end up blowing the media out of the filter

housing depending on pipe length

we tried cutting a viewing slot and gluing perspex to over

come this when I use to play around with DIY ideas and that

worked OK

the other thing is the wider the tube the harder it is to get the

media to move from the corners which is why K1 works better

as a FBF media IMO

I think Dogboy was takin the p#$s out of me about my over done pallet racking, he enjoyes it.. hello Richard..

Pool filter has 120kg of coarse zeolite in it?, no media in my sump,zeolite needs to be in a stocking if ran in sump chambers, works great, filters out very small particals, as good as filter wool, nitrate is always at a low, at least with regular water changes..., was thinking of placing bio balls at the top of filter....

I have been using this type of set for a long time and had no probs with strait zeolite, no other material..

Water changes are simple, i have a half way drain running into sump, turn filter to backwash to clean filter out... zeolite is more of a mechanical filtration then biological, but still does a great job..i have a lot of fish in there at the moment, and some big ones at that, i tend to overfeed, and no probs...

David...

Archived