recent shots of big tank

Gav

got around to taking some pics of my big tank. its now 13 months since i changed to larger cichlids. have lost around half to fights and disease resulting from fights. the strongest survived and most are represented in the 3 pics below. what is left is 7 oscars, 3 jack dempseys, 1 braziliensis, 1 synspilum, 2 green severum, 2 texas, 1 polleni, 1 bay snook, 2 chocolates, 2 parrots and a couple of plecos.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I remember when you posted these up as babies when you first got them. Geez they have grown and lookin fat, healthy and colourful too. Still miss a few of my old americans they just take up too much tank size for me atm. Awesome lookin tank Gav good work.

Looks awesome! I made the mistake of getting a couple of chocolates recently without doing my homework and found out how big they will eventually get.......................might just be the excuse needed later for a bigger tank. I really should have done some research though, I thought I was over impulse buying but they looked great.

The whole look of your tank appeals to me big time with the tannins coloring the water and the big fish .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Craig, you are right, buckets of food. the oscars alone eat some serious amounts of food. essentially i have to distract/fill them up so the rest can get their fair share. a lot also get a fair bit of their food through eating the waste of the oscars. because they eat so much a lot goes through them hardly digested, so they get chased around the tank when they pass waste as the other fish have learned its a great source of food.

Craig, you are right, buckets of food. the oscars alone eat some serious amounts of food. essentially i have to distract/fill them up so the rest can get their fair share. a lot also get a fair bit of their food through eating the waste of the oscars. because they eat so much a lot goes through them hardly digested, so they get chased around the tank when they pass waste as the other fish have learned its a great source of food.

Classic

:lol3::lol4::lol1::thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

i will try and get some when i can be bothered getting the tripod out.

since these pics have had some more "lovin" going on and lost the brasiliensis and the two albino oscars. not much fun losing 20 odd cm fish like that but its virtually impossible to save anything that cops a flogging in there.

i will try and get some when i can be bothered getting the tripod out.

since these pics have had some more "lovin" going on and lost the brasiliensis and the two albino oscars. not much fun losing 20 odd cm fish like that but its virtually impossible to save anything that cops a flogging in there.

Essentially, do you think that means as large as the tank is, it is still too small for the fish choice and numbers?

to a degree that may be true craig. i always knew what i bought was going to be whittled down and in the end i would have a group that got along well enough. with americans you cant guarantee anything. if they get into a serious fight they can chew each other up so badly in such a short time there isnt really much you can do to save them. i don't want to add any more, so it will ultimately find a balance there somewhere. hopefully that is a balance that is reached without too many more corpses.

to a degree that may be true craig. i always knew what i bought was going to be whittled down and in the end i would have a group that got along well enough. with americans you cant guarantee anything. if they get into a serious fight they can chew each other up so badly in such a short time there isnt really much you can do to save them. i don't want to add any more, so it will ultimately find a balance there somewhere. hopefully that is a balance that is reached without too many more corpses.

I think the same can be said of most Africans.

Eventually they fight they kill and they sort it out.

Archived