Who lost fish in the heatwave

M.H

hey

i sold all my geos to a mate of mine a few months ago, he told me he came home to find the whole lot dead in his tank. the heat cooked his airpump and it shat itself...:(

the only fish in the tank that didnt die were the lecosticas. i have no idea why.

cheers

i'm sorry to hear so many people lost fish in the heatwave

i was lucky to avoid any loss.... but i did work hard to keep the tank temps cool.

my garage sat at about 33-34'C so i lowered all tank water levels to just below canister filter spray bars, increased tank airation and also added frozen 2ltr water bottles each day when temps maxed out.

I lost a stack of fish. I came home to a few large fish floating on the top of the tanks and then proceded to pull out body after body under rocks....a head, a tail...then a another whole body....It was horrible.

I lost:

Pair of sunshine peacocks

4 electric yellows...maybe even more as a had some small juvies in there too and I don't know how many were initially in there hiding among rocks.

Large female pheno. Tanzania

2 blue dolphins

1 pheno tanzania juvie

1 pheno gissell juvie

I almost lost another large female blue dolphin....I noticed her swimming weird, like she was swimming but only half conscious. Took her out and put her in my 4ft tank with a bag of ice, and did partial water change.

Checked on her today and she is doing much better...but she has two slightly cloudy eyes.

I was surprised my colony of frontosa made it, as almost two years ago to the day, I lost a colony of frontosa during the heat.

My tank temperature was up around 35 degrees.

ive been following this thread since it began.. its really touching a nerve to hear about all the loses people have incurred due to the heat in nsw, and you guys must be devastated. for that i am sympathetic.

i mean no disrespect when i say this, and im not the best with words, so i hope its not taken the wrong way, but im genuinly upset by the amount of fish suffering and dying.

responsibility must be taken when caring for animals. if these were people's dogs dying due to heat exposure there would be uproar. yes i know it has been hot, but there are measures to prevent this from happening. if it means running an air-con or fans flat out, well thats what we have todo as responsible pet owners...

personally im from sa so i know about extreme heat, when its coming its all over the news so there is time to prepare for it.

I was surprised my colony of frontosa made it, as almost two years ago to the day, I lost a colony of frontosa during the heat.

its a shame it takes something like this for people to react, and judging by the post above some dont..

Trust me....I was felt like an absolute idiot for letting it happen again, and will be investing in a chiller to prevent further losses in the future.

If my garage had access to an air conditioner I would have had it on, but I unfortunately wasnt prepared for it.

By the time I got home from work....the water changes and bags of ice just came too late. It definitely is a lesson learned for me.

I think a lot of us just turned our heaters off, my air con doesn't make it to the garage and I doubt it does for anyone else here. I only lost a handful of 1cm frontosa fry which I was upset about but on the scale of my breeding setup I know I fared well compared to others here. Lights and heaters off saved me but so did the fact that I didn't have to worry about the inside tanks just the one's in the garage.

Sorry to hear of everyone's loses. :cryblow:

ive been following this thread since it began.. its really touching a nerve to hear about all the loses people have incurred due to the heat in nsw, and you guys must be devastated. for that i am sympathetic.

i mean no disrespect when i say this, and im not the best with words, so i hope its not taken the wrong way, but im genuinly upset by the amount of fish suffering and dying.

responsibility must be taken when caring for animals. if these were people's dogs dying due to heat exposure there would be uproar. yes i know it has been hot, but there are measures to prevent this from happening. if it means running an air-con or fans flat out, well thats what we have todo as responsible pet owners...

personally im from sa so i know about extreme heat, when its coming its all over the news so there is time to prepare for it.

its a shame it takes something like this for people to react, and judging by the post above some dont..

Our local news had been telling us since November we would be having hot days and weeks here and there but none came to fruition. I think people have become complacent and have come to distrust the 'Local weather man' as their predictions are usually quite wrong.

I agree it was televised and people should have been prepared but you cant hold it against them that the weather man actually got it right for a change.

My issues came when i actually HAD to sleep. tanks at 28 when going to bed and 32, 6 hours later. Not all of us are blessed with a huge house and air conditioning just for their fish.

I borrowed a portable air con had it running for 4 days straight in the fish room water got to 28c didnt loose any fish, was lucky i acted fast .

Lionel

i lost my plec collection :(

colony of royal whips,

lfbn's, breeding common's and albino, heaps of juvies, l104's, l168 and more

i tried my best to cool it down, i floated frozen bottles, took lids off, fan, air con, but it was always at a steady 34, hit 38 at one point,

everything is dead :cryblow: not gonna re start any more colonies now :cryblow:

the geos pulled through except for 2 orangeheads :angry: though a bacteria bloom started, and i've been trying to keep my ammonia, n03 etc down

Our local news had been telling us since November we would be having hot days and weeks here and there but none came to fruition. I think people have become complacent and have come to distrust the 'Local weather man' as their predictions are usually quite wrong.

I agree it was televised and people should have been prepared but you cant hold it against them that the weather man actually got it right for a change.

My issues came when i actually HAD to sleep. tanks at 28 when going to bed and 32, 6 hours later. Not all of us are blessed with a huge house and air conditioning just for their fish.

Its not really distruting the weather man, but thinkin our fish would make it through the heat but obviously they didnt,

yes i agree even if some of us had an air con we prob wouldnt have turned it on anyway, like in ur case there would be no reason to turn it on when it was at 28 degrees before you went to sleep, so even if you did have an air con you most likely wouldnt have turned it on as the temp was pretty safe at the time

Archived