Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis - how long to hold?

GlennC

Hi all

Yesterday (Wednesday) was the 21st day my female Nigripinnis has been holding. The skin below her mouth is now transparent, right up to the gills. When I look at her I can at times see three pairs of eyes!

Anyway, I've been keeping her in a breeding net to give her peace. She is obviously looking gaunt, but not too bad. I'm just wondering how long she's going to hold for and whether I should release the fry now?

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Mate

My malasa sometimes holds 30 days and just does not spit them out but when she does they are a nice size :) i have stripped before but there is a chance of damaging mouth i am sure other experts here will give better advise than me..

cheers

21-30 depending on the girl. Dont stress too much about her she will recover. the fry will be large when she lets them out and will need to be fead that day.I would assume there will be no egg sack left. When she does spit give her lots of small feedings for a couple of weeks and she will be back up to form and breeding again in no time.BBS is good to recondition them.

this is off the topic for the last month or so i have noticed 1-2 of my females with sunken belly look and 1-2 have died and they not all dancing around 24 hours like they normally do.... i have hit them with metronazole has anyone else has similar issues with these tangs? or else they are 24 hours breeding but last month something not right...

I have found that some fish just drop off and die for some reason. I do not think i am alone in noticing this. Originally i thaught it was a gut problem like wasting but meds for that dont help. I started worming them out regularly and have had no further issues. Cypts are another one that sometimes just waste away. I also find i loose some fry when moving them from tank to tank when they are growing out.

Maybe they just over extend themselves breeding all the time and cant recover. I now strip when i see there are eyes and less egg sack, around the 18-20 Day mark.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will give her another week.

She's kept pretty much unstressed - she has a plastic boot inside the net that she can retreat into and often does, especially when I'm shining the torn on her to look at the babies.

I have the smallest wrigglers on hand ready for her when she spits and I'll keep her in the net for a week or two post-spitting to let her recover without being harassed by the males.

Glen if you have small wrigglers drop some in the frysaver

nothing like food to give some incentive to leave home

Litho send Craig T a PM he had a lot of probs with Cyps wasting

and can advise you what he did

It could also be a parrasite and may be some thing like

Praziquantal (Droncit wormer) might sort it out

Andrew like you I never stripped my Cyps as they are so

fragile around the mouth, just not worth the stress it places

on the fish

I had a spare nursey tank for the female cyps that was planted

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, the female held for exactly 30 days! She spat 7 fry out. I thought this was awesome considering it's her first batch. I thought there were going to be 5 and so couldn't believe it when I saw 7!

I kept the mother in isolation for another two weeks and she's fine.

The fry are fine too, except that one disappeared without trace early on. If you think full-grown Nigripinnis look hilarious the way they swim upside down etc, you should see how the fry behave!

Nice, Im glad it all worked out for you. :clap

7 is about an average size clutch.

Best Gob full i have stripped from them was 13 fry, 6 of which were albino

Archived