Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus

M.H

i bought this on the weekend i thought ill share with you its a male Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus hes about 14cms

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

this is another fusco ive had for about a month now its only about 5cms hoping it will be a female

IPB Image

IPB Image

ive got another male juvie hes only about 9cms but couldnt take a decent photo as he would stay still and got tired chasing him around the tank

I would like to breed these fish but you can't get a hold of these fish their getting rare I'm on the hunt for some females it's just a matter of time I'll bump into them one day

Monaco - Canley Vale.

Juiced - suggests they might be fed on something that makes them all 'male'

Is that a couple of venustus in the tank with them? They look mature enough. No concerns about cross-breeding?

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. But the head of that first male fusco is deformed. Should have a nice straight head on it, your fish has a 'beaked' appearance. I wouldn't be using this guy for breeding purposes. Might make a nice display fish though.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. But the head of that first male fusco is deformed. Should have a nice straight head on it, your fish has a 'beaked' appearance. I wouldn't be using this guy for breeding purposes. Might make a nice display fish though.

Are you saying this fusco is a crossbreed

i think he is saying that while it IS a fusco, it is not a particularly good example of one. the fuscos i have seen in the last few years are pale examples of the fine lines we once had. the younger one looks quite good though, so just see how it turns out and look to source a few more.

i think he is saying that while it IS a fusco, it is not a particularly good example of one. the fuscos i have seen in the last few years are pale examples of the fine lines we once had. the younger one looks quite good though, so just see how it turns out and look to source a few more.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be breeding with the above fish. The head is way off and even the pattern. Fusco patterning is derived from horizontal lines, the above fish has patterning that appears quite random like a livingstonii. I'm not saying it is a hybrid, just that it is a dodgey specimen AND with the state of the hobby and the potential state of the hobby in Oz I think it would be a careless thing to do.

I have a group of 6 that I am growing out at the moment. All around the 6 - 8cm mark. Hobbyists need to start hoarding groups of good quality fish, especially the harder to get stuff.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be breeding with the above fish. The head is way off and even the pattern. Fusco patterning is derived from horizontal lines, the above fish has patterning that appears quite random like a livingstonii. I'm not saying it is a hybrid, just that it is a dodgey specimen AND with the state of the hobby and the potential state of the hobby in Oz I think it would be a careless thing to do.

I have a group of 6 that I am growing out at the moment. All around the 6 - 8cm mark. Hobbyists need to start hoarding groups of good quality fish, especially the harder to get stuff.

i understand where your coming from i did get him to breed but i wont now can you post some pics of your fusco just so i know what to look out for next time also here is my smaller fusco male around the 10cms tell me what you think

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hi M.H

I got my first fusco a couple of months ago from Riverside Aquariums. He's a great addition to the aquarium and I can see why you like them. I am also on the hunt for females. I saw a female at St. George but it wasn't for sale. My one is a dominant fish and even though he is currently half the size of some of the larger haps, he is one of the top ranking fish in the tank. This fish may be reclassified into Tyranochromis rather than Nimbochromis over time.

IPB Image

If Monaco has hormone fed fuscos, it isn't the end of the world. The food does not change the sex of the fish, but it does make them appear male while they eat it. Once the fish are no longer fed on that cr*p, they will revert back to appearing and behaving as they should.

The ethical dilemma though is that if you buy these hormone fed fuscos, you are effectively rewarding the shop for stocking fish subjected to this reprehensible practice. But at the same time, I'd be grabbing fuscos wherever I could given their status in the hobby (i.e. dwindling).

i agree with andrew, and will also add that the ones from this location have a greater chance of being from a different source than most the ones on the wholesale market as i suspect they dont source their fish from the usual wholesalers.

oh and i missed the flush comment. never flush a fish, it is incredibly cruel. best method is getting it and throwing it HARD against a wall/floor or by dropping a brick on it. that ensures a fast and humane death. its not the easiest thing to do, but better than flushing or freezing.

I'd better add - no need to kill the fish - he looks great as a display fish. All anyone has suggested is not to use him for breeding.

I'd better add - no need to kill the fish - he looks great as a display fish. All anyone has suggested is not to use him for breeding.

The purpose i got was to breed him in the near future if that's not the case I'll sell him to someone that will use him for display I was only joking about killing him

Let me just add that I should have been told he was deformed when I bought it I didn't buy it on petlink or something I bought it from a shop that's been around for many years

Archived