breeding gold spot or sailfin plecos

andrew.vid

hi everyone,

i have 2 pairs of gold spot plecostomus that are about 15cm long and i have heard that it needs to be in a pond with mud to breed. is this true?

and can anyone give me some advise on setting up a pond like size and equipment needed such as heaters and power heads etc...

thanks in advance

Gold spots and sailfins need actual mud ponds to breed. You can't breed them in aquariums (Unless they are very large, say 10x4x3 at least).

Filtration wise, well if you breed them in intended conditions, being a large earth pond, you won't need any. You will have very fish fish per thousand litres, the mud will provide huggeeee surface area for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to control waste produced and plants and other organisms will also par take in filtering the water.

These are only currently bred by some up in North QLD last time I heard in earth ponds around 20ftx10 (Thats in FEET) - perhaps someone more up to date can clarify sizing of these ponds - but they will not be any smaller than the size stated.

They also will need to be at least 12" to breed, so yours are quite some way off that yet.

Archived