Deranged Loach

Bedge

Due to an outbreak of snails in my tank I set off to purchase some loaches or similar last weekend. Loaches it is. One is a clown I think the other maybe a yoyo.

This Loach, the yoyo - seriously has issues. It is the strangest fish I have ever seen. I have never kept Loaches before, so this is a new world for me.

I noticed during the week, that is was partial to hanging out under a rock, on its side. At first I obviously thought it was dying, but no - it was totally cool. Apparently just taking a nap.

I got home this afternoon, this ... animal .. was having yet another nap, on top of a piece of drift wood - on its side. Just, you know, hanging out .. sun baking.

I did a tank clean today and noticed that the air wall wasn't on full power, and found that the hose was getting a bit squashed. Now Mr yoyo is totally obsessed with the air wall, as is currently hanging out - upside down, right on top of it. It's literally just snoozing!

The clown loach seems much more .. boring and normal. This fish is a hoot! Has anyone else had Loaches before? Are they dereanged? hahaah.

Here is a photo (its a bit hard to make it out as I took it with my blackberry), but here is Mr Yoyo, hanging out, on his side at the air stone.

IPB Image

The first time I kept some of these guys I had similar happen and got onto the phone to the lfs asking what i could do about sick fish :-). They are a laugh once you get over the initial shock that they do some wierd things now and then.

Hi

Yes the loaches tend to sleep on their side, looking like they are dead while the others swim around it. But it’s all good when you get over the initial shock; they look very interesting to watch how they can stay so still for such a long time.

Cheers

i have a couple of clowns in with my common BN , and i know that the BN are laying , but the loaches often pay a visit to the caves.... what are these little buggers like at stealing eggs?

if they have been eating them , i'm getting rid of them.

Archived