tanganyika communities

trofius

hi I was just looking at my rather empty 6x2x2 it has 4 leleupi and a pulcher, and I wondering what other people have as tang community tanks there are heaps of rocks and a course sand substrate. My other tank has leptos, foai, regani. also in other tanks are some cylindricus, and some duboisi. Any ideas are helpful or use this post just to brag about your currnet tang community tanks, pictures welcome!

My Current tang community setup in my 6x2x2 has some young frontosa growing up.

A calvus, a pair of Julies and Opthalmotilapia Ventralis in there.

I am eventually going to add some shell dwellers.

I've also got a 4x18x18 with leptosoma kibishi that are breeding, but don't want to upset them by adding anything else just yet.

Lepto's would be nice in the 6x2x2, but once the frontosa get fully grown they'd become a midnight snack!

We have 3 Tang community tanks - they are all 5 x 2 x 2's.

1st one has - Cyprichromis sp. jumbo Mbita (8), Altolamprologus compressiceps Gold (6 young'uns), Cyathopharynx foai Karilani Copper (8 young'uns), Synodontis tanganaicae (3).

2nd tank - Cyprichromis sp. jumbo Kitumba (15), Paracyprichromis nigripinnis (5), Callochromis macrops (4), Altolamprologus calvus Black (3 sub adults 5 juveniles), Julidochromis ornatus Congo Gold (2).

3rd - Cyprichromis sp. jumbo Kibishi (12), Cyathopharynx furcifer Magara (4), Gnathochromis permaxillaris (3 sub adults).

We also have another 5x2x2 which has fronties and Dimidiochromis compressiceps in it, plus a rogue Chalinochromis sp. ndobnoi.

All of these combos get on really well - Tank 2 is going nuts at the moment, everything is breeding pretty much constantly in there (if they are old enough!). As some of the fish get older the numbers will be whittled down a bit to breeding pairs etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Might post some pics if anyone's interested in seeing some of these fish.

Cheers,

Jess and Julian

OK, any excuse to show off our fish! Here's a few pics:

Kitumba dominant male

kitumba4_nov03.jpg

Kitumba subdominant male

kitumba_6_sml.jpg

Kitumba subdominant male all blue

kitumba3_nov03.jpg

Mbita dominant male (more common colouration)

mbita9_sml.jpg

Mbita subdominant male (rarer colouration pale blue body, yellow tail)

mbita_sml.jpg

Callochromis macrops guarding sand nest

callochromis_9_sml.jpg

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis male (yawning - what a huge mouth!)

nigripinnis_nov03.jpg

Cheers,

Jess

Cool they are certainly some impressive fish. Its so hard to get nice fish in Rockhampton. occasionally i can get to brisbane but thats still pretty rare at the moment, being a 7 hour drive and all.. As mentioned my 6x18x18 has 12 leptosoma "malasa", 7 foai "magara" and 4 regaini"kipili" all still young at 4-6cm, am getting 2 multipunctatus in 3weeks. Would it be pushing things to add a pair of 5cm leleupi, or some A.comps.

My other tank, 6x2x2, will have 18 duboisi "maswa" 4cm, a pulcher (fem), trio of cylindricus, and maybe swap the regani to here, and maybe a pair of multipunctatus.

My large pair of leleupi will be isolated to breed. wish they could go in with the cylindricus, its a nice colour contrast..

Any other suggestions additions.

forgot to mention the tanks are run off a 50litre home made canister pushing 1500l/hour.

Link from this forum

There are also some Tang Comm Tank suggestion and discourse about them here.

From my own experience I would say that; my T.duboisi(Maswa) love their little tank-mates[C.leptoaoma(Malasa)] and the lepto's really work well with shellies and all of the rock dwelling Tang's(Alto's, Juli's, Chalino's, L.ocellatus, etc)

What about;

10x C.leptosoma(whatever one ya like best)

15x T.dubiosi(or any other tropheus, I s'pose)

1 pair of C.brichardi

Yumm...well it sounds good to me :unsure

HTH

My other tank, 6x2x2, will have 18 duboisi "maswa" 4cm, a pulcher (fem), trio of cylindricus, and maybe swap the regani to here, and maybe a pair of multipunctatus.

hmmm...trofius, I would be really interested to hear how this tank works for you in the long run.

Specifically, I would like to know if your duboisi end up spawning. My reading and enquiries led me to put my Multipunct's in with the Malawi's...apperently there has been no recorded spawnings of Tropheus when housed with Syno's and I would really like to know how ya get on.

Thanks for the heads up Mazimbwe about the cuckoos, i will leave them out. i dont have the duboisi yet i pick them up after christmas same with the cuckoos.

Thanks also about the combo suggestion I was thinking of some thing very similar, as i already have 12 leptos, but dont agree on the pair of brichardi they are fisty little sh@ts when they spawn, i think i will go with the regani, or leleupi as it will contrast nice against the alage and dark duboisi. As for the duboisi spawning it will be a while, they are only 4cm! do you have to have a web site to host pics here? thanks all

Archived