new to plants

whytri

hi there

i am about to start up a planted/community tank but i got no idea where to start.

was just thinking of a newbie setup. anyone got any suggestions on types of plants that doesnt require a co2 and no real modification to the normal lights you use for cichlids?

thanks in advance.

thanks for the reply so far, been reallyhelful.

so i am using black pretty fine gravel, and the tank has just been stup with a 2 foot minireef which was running 3 3 footer(so plenty of bacteria.)

tank is set at 28 degrees and ph of about 6.8

was wondering when can i introduce plants/fish (fish being schooling tropicals, tetras angels etc...)

also i did some reading which indicates that you need to add fertiliser for your planted tanks, was wondering if anyone can shread some light

thanks in advance.

thanks for the reply so far, been reallyhelful.

so i am using black

pretty fine gravel, and the tank has just been stup with a 2 foot minireef which

was running 3 3 footer(so plenty of bacteria.)

Gravel should not be finer than 3mm, and a mini reef is not the best filtration for plants as it will blow-off the CO2 - a requirement of plants and you will introduce a minimum factor.

Tank is set at 28 degrees and ph of about 6.8

No need to have it so hot, 22-24 is okay

was wondering when can i introduce plants/fish (fish being schooling tropicals,

tetras angels etc...)

Add the fish when the tank is cycled. Angels can eat tetras btw

also i did some reading which indicates that you need to add fertiliser for your

planted tanks, was wondering if anyone can shread some light

Keep reading, there is a lot more knowledge required for a full-on "Planted" tank. than a fish, fishtank, it will be up to you to decided how far you want to go. Google "Liebig Minimum Theory" as a good starting point regarding the need to fertilise.

Whytri, you need to do some further reading and come back with some questions more pointed than whether or not fertiliser is needed. It will take you a month of Sundays to learn what you need to know if you're at this point in your knowledge base.

Here's a great site for plant information;

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/

Craig

• 1 month later...

Planted aquariums take a lot of work and a lot of patience. Do your research but set yourself a budget as once you start getting into C02 systems with regulators and metal halide lighting, the dollars will add up VERY quickly.

I agree that 28 is a little high and I wouldn't use really fine gravel as it will inevitably compact tightly and prohibit root growth. Luckily, Anubias and Java Fern/Moss doesn't 'root' so to speak, so the gravel won't be an issue for them. It will be a pain in the neck down the track if you want to grow 'other' plants.

I'd also suggest that you ensure the fish you buy aren't vegetarians otherwise your tank may otherwise end up being a very expensive buffet ;)

Archived