Dying Mystery Snails

GlennC

I had five medium-large mystery snails that have been doing very well in my Tanganykan tank. However, two have died over the past few days. In both cases the snail looked complete, but there was a hole in the operculum. It doesn't look like damage that any of my fish could do.

Any ideas?

I had five medium-large mystery snails that have been doing very well in my Tanganykan tank. However, two have died over the past few days. In both cases the snail looked complete, but there was a hole in the operculum. It doesn't look like damage that any of my fish could do.

Any ideas?

You don't give the details to lead me to this comment, but I believe they starved to death. Snails don't get skinny when hungry and Mysterys need a fair bit of food (for a snail) due to their size, and fish can out compete them.

So, they look like they are doing great zooming around the tank (because they are so hungry they are desperate to eat and move around a lot in search of food), then they are dead - for no apparent reason - go figure :blink

Thanks Craig, I will give them more food and see how they go.

They've laid five batches of eggs during the last three weeks though, so I thought they were doing pretty well.

Cheers

Glenn

It was just a "best guess" Glenn, and the egg laying probably sway me a bit but I would still make the same guess I think. The water didn't kill them, do snails get diseases (?), I assume they were not being picked upon - what else can it be? I know they eat more than the average snail, I believe that they can't always just get by on what the fish leave, I know Africans leave little to none anyway. So though I have never seen your tank, nor know its stocking, nor how much you feed, I do know that these snails consume more than you would think and I have seen them die from not enough food before.

Archived