Sexing Compressiceps

ecura

Hi All

I know this has probably been asked & answered hundreds of times before but I couldn't find anything on my searches and was hoping someone would be able to help.

Gold comps

Gold Head Comps

Firefins

Black Calvus

I have recently ventured into attempting to breed these and I am struggling to work out what gender the fish are. I have seen bits about the depth of the body, length of fins, colour behaviour but none of it has been too clear. If anyone knows the right way of telling I would really appreciate you sharing this knowledge.

If you respond with the - 'The Fin Length' or simillar please could you desribe the male vs. female.

I hope I haven't worded this inapproriately it's just driving me mad & would like to learn what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help, as always it is appreciated.

Cheers

Elliott :thumbup:

i have a pair of fire fins and my male is much larger at the same age he would be at least three times the size, and the female stays more bullet shaped, the male gets more of a slope on his head (like a higher forehead) , they are a very slow growing fish that takes a while to see any big differences between the sexes the male does have longer fins but it takes a long time for them to mature how old are your fish and what size

hope that helps

cheers

Luke

You can notice a difference in the vents of males and females even when they are swimming around in the tank. The males vent is pretty flat or it may look like a little scale has lifted in that area, while the female has a more pronounced exerted and round vent. A female fish would have to be mature to see this. It was visible on my compressicep females from 4cm.

There used to be a pretty handy photographic guide to vent sexing fish on the web. I can't remember the link but you may be able to google it. There is probably a link to the site somewhere in this forum.

Bruce

Hi All

I am no expert but have a many gold comps growing out and breeding if you monitor them daily and closely you will see the female shows her egg tube it hangs down sometimes gets hidden near her bottom fins but as i said you look close enough you will see them.

cheers

Archived