Eheims are to be made in China.

CThompson

Eheims are to be made in China. Is this new news or old, or have they been made there for a while? I have always understood that being a German product and company, that they have been made in Germany too.

I heard that Eheim were to move their manufacturing to China just the other day, and wonder if the quality will drop as a result.

Eheims are to be made in China. Is this new news or old, or have they been made there for a while? I have always understood that being a German product and company, that they have been made in Germany too.

I heard that Eheim were to move their manufacturing to China just the other day, and wonder if the quality will drop as a result.

I would say, No! quality would stay the same for the design is the same.

I would also say, That prices should drop dramastically due to the manufacturing costs are much cheaper in China plus there wages. well atleased there minimum hourly rate is.

so we should see Eheims take a 10% drop about 6months after the move! 'IMO'

even tho it will be german designed if its manufactured in china the quality will decrease as they will be sourcing the components to make the gear locally, thus decreasing quality. Thats everything from cabling to orings.

i would imagine that quality control will also suffer so there should be more warrenties or problems arising.

i would hope a more then 10% price drop since they will will reducing their overheads by atleast 40%.

I would also say, That prices should drop dramastically due to the manufacturing costs are much cheaper in China

I think you will find that the Australian wholesaler won't alter their pricing.

I would say, No! quality would stay the same for the design is the same.

New factory, new people....at least untill they have the experience.

Eheim Classic canister filters, Pickup internal filters, single autofeeders and a few other products have been made in China for years with no apparent loss of quality (although a lot of the components like impellers and double taps are still manufactured in Germany as far as I am aware.) The universal pumps, Pro, Pro 2 and Pro 3 canisters as well as most of the filter media is still manufactured in Germany.

Cheers

Pacco

Eheim Classic canister filters, Pickup internal filters, single autofeeders and a few other products have been made in China for years with no apparent loss of quality (although a lot of the components like impellers and double taps are still manufactured in Germany as far as I am aware.) The universal pumps, Pro, Pro 2 and Pro 3 canisters as well as most of the filter media is still manufactured in Germany.

Cheers

Pacco

From my understanding that is almost correct the Pickups and maybe the feeders have been made there for awhile :confused: , the cannisters are made there for the chinese market and not made there for the our power supply, even though you can get away with it for awhile.

Prof 2 cannisters are no longer made by germany as they have dropped the line for the Pro 3 series now, as it was only the aussie market that was keeping them going. So dont be surprised if they still show up being made in China.

Bit like Teco chillers the ones made in EU for Australia have different compressors (Made for Oz Power supply) than the ones imported from China which still use the original compressor and may not do as well here ;)

It certainly will be interesting as to how all this pans out i guess. But i cant see Eheim moving everything to China though. but then its possible after all :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

What people dont realise about Chinese manufacturers they can make anything to a price. Which means in one factory they produce half a dozen brands. In saying this they are all made of different quality parts depending on the price paid by the company. Take a look at aqua one, sun sun and atman for eg. They are all made in the same plant but are made to specifications from the company that owns the brand. One reason why Atman is more expensive than sun sun.

I understand for a while Eheim plastic products like filter body were being made in China But the parts that matter like motors ect were still being made in Germany

Overseas manufacturing has been going on for a long while

Bet not many here know that most of the Holden Comodore is imported as parts from China But still is fully assembled here

I picked up a packet of Oreos biscuits the other day made in China

The Japaneese basically pickup there whole factory and dump it into China This ensures quality control,Japaneese know how and Chineese Labor

Back to Eheims as long as the German Technology isnt effected what would be the problem

Cheers

Craig

Manufacturing in China does not mean you have to compromise on quality. Like someone said previous it is all dependent on the company itself, i.e. how much they want to save and how much they want to spend on QC aspect on the production line. The only real saving to manufacture in China is the labour cost. German goods does not always mean good quality either.

Cheers

Eheim have to be able to justify their prices. The price disparity with the grey imports is too great and indicates anti-competitive practises which are illegal in many nations. Whilst the grey importers do not offer good service you can just chuck out the old and buy a new if it break and you are marginally out of pocket.

FYI Grey means the product is real EHeim but sourced in a country with lower trade prices. The Guppy's products come with German plugs and an adapter.

What may be more a factor is what people "think" the quality is, with;

made in China compared to made in Germany.

Hi Craig

these days it really dosent matter where products are made as long as the parent company ensures products are made to the quality practersis they have made there name on

if on the other hand using eheim for example they still have a made in Germany sticker on the box ect and its coming out of another country thats a whole new ball game

Most foreign nationals go to china for two main reasons

1) cheap labor

2) no worries about enviroment statements

Country like Australia are heavily penalised for trying to play on a equal playing field in the world markets

due to requlations ect

I have no problem with products coming from anywhere as long as they are value for money and are backed up with a warranty ect

I really have a problem with food coming into Australia from poorer countrys

All Tuna for Thailand

Now biscuits from China "Nabisco"

Heinz Canned chicken Thailand

Nile Pearch Tanzania

and dont try and pick up a mouth wash just about all from overseas

My issue with food is we "Australia" have the best cleanest sources here why do we need any from elsewhere

Just my thoughts

Craig

Archived