Heater

Spinksy

hey guys, this is my first time setting up a tank..its going to be an african tank and with a little help from malawi4me im hoping it should come up ok, its 4ft and i have brought a 1200l/ph canister filter with 11w uv filter for it.

now im not sure what brand heater to buy for it i know it needs to be 300w but im not sure what brand is best value for money..

looking at one of the aquanova 300watt heater. just looking for your thoughts!

cheers

Brenton :thumbup:

Eheim Jager cant beet the reliability and the price has come down in the last few years i also like the fluval ones they both keep your tank at the set temp with no big ups and downs.

IME Jager died quicker than Sera. But Jager heats more water given the same wattage.

My Seras have been going on for 7+ years.

I also have 2x Via Aquas (which don't have good reps) that are at least 5 yo. and still going strong.

IMO Jaeger are the benchmark but sometimes slightly more expensive; I have read on various site that a good 'rule-of-thumb' is 1Watt of heating per 1Liter of water, so if you have a 4'x18'x18' that would equate to roughly 240Liters which in turn equals a 200 -250W heater.

Fluvals are a good choice as well, I suppose it really depends on your budget :yes:

If you read some of the old threads on this topic you will see there has in the past been a lot of issues with Jagger. They were once the best, but not now.

I've had Sera heaters fail to the point the outer glass slide off and was active with water inside it. Gave me a HELL of a belt, and the rest of the half dozen of Sera heaters have all failed to a lesser leathal extent except for I think one.

I have found success with a cheap brand call Aqua One.

If you read some of the old threads on this topic you will see there has in the past been a lot of issues with Jagger. They were once the best, but not now.

I've had Sera heaters fail to the point the outer glass slide off and was active with water inside it. Gave me a HELL of a belt, and the rest of the half dozen of Sera heaters have all failed to a lesser leathal extent except for I think one.

I have found success with a cheap brand call Aqua One.

Unsurprisingly I agree with Craig...

I've kept fish for only a few years, but still had some Aqua One heaters from when I was younger...quite awhile ago now that I think about it...and they all work fine from 50W to 300W.

In comparison I have a Jager which is about the same age, maybe newer, which I wasn't happy with (thermostat wasn't very good) and have replaced with another Aqua One.

A 300W Aqua One can be got for ~$35 (at my LFS anyway).

Archived