Adolfoi Corydoras tank setup

cpfc

I have some Adolfoi cories that have arrived at the LFS and I want a good home for them. At the moment it will be a small 20l tank to fatten them up in. I am thinking of a dark sandy substrate, some Java fern on wood and a few stem plants weighted with anchors as the substrate will only be about 1 - 2 cm. It will only be lit by room light but there is a fluro a metre above the tank. I may have some dark backing in keeping with the dark peaceful nature for the tank.

Filtration will be a sponge filter and there will be an air stone to keep some good circulation and aeration.

I am thinking of getting some LFS water to start them in as I have read they are sensitive to change. The question is then how to reach and maintain good soft and stable water. The latter do not go hand in hand easily. My tap water is about 7.5 7.6 and KH 3 GH 3. Once the KH goes the pH can dive which I do not want.

Any suggestions and alterations? What pH and KH should I aim to keep? I read that low conductivity can be as important and that the buffers can add to conductivity? Is is a case of use the tap water and let the tank take care of it or should I be pre-buffering?

Thanks

I have some Adolfoi cories that have arrived at the LFS and I want a good home for them. At the moment it will be a small 20l tank to fatten them up in. I am thinking of a dark sandy substrate, some Java fern on wood and a few stem plants weighted with anchors as the substrate will only be about 1 - 2 cm. It will only be lit by room light but there is a fluro a metre above the tank. I may have some dark backing in keeping with the dark peaceful nature for the tank.

Filtration will be a sponge filter and there will be an air stone to keep some good circulation and aeration.

I am thinking of getting some LFS water to start them in as I have read they are sensitive to change. The question is then how to reach and maintain good soft and stable water. The latter do not go hand in hand easily. My tap water is about 7.5 7.6 and KH 3 GH 3. Once the KH goes the pH can dive which I do not want.

Any suggestions and alterations? What pH and KH should I aim to keep? I read that low conductivity can be as important and that the buffers can add to conductivity? Is is a case of use the tap water and let the tank take care of it or should I be pre-buffering?

Thanks

iv been waiting longer?

lol

I would suggest you google their pH etc requirements, but my guess would be slightly acidic, 6.5 up to neutral. But a quick Internet search would sort that out to a definite answer. I don't think they will be as precious as you mention.

For a tank of that size, for myself, I would think about an UGF rather than a box filter.

Aqua-pics product called "KH Powder + 7.0", may assist you in your pH crash question. In essence you can add this KH product and the pH will not (should?) go over 7.

Aqua-pics product called "KH Powder + 7.0", may assist you in your pH crash question. In essence you can add this KH product and the pH will not (should?) go over 7.

Thats the best stuff Craig.

I use it for my American's.

It is the best.

To be honest I am more confused as ever as to what is optimal for the cories ie low pH or low hardness. they come from Rio Negro which is a soft black water acidic river in Brazil. Is it the acidity or softness that matters? I am also seeing a references to conductivity which I remember from school chemistry is related to the level of ionisation of the water. The more ionic stuff you add in the higher the conductivity. Basically buffers, uppers and downers will increase conductivity. To keep matter simple I am not going to do anything to the water other than maybe source some Indian Almond Leaves (aka Ketapang leaves) to stain the water.

Craig - I have gone with a mature sponge filter I have along with an air stone. The substrate is sand which the little fellas seem to like but I understand is innappriate for a UGF. The last lot of Adolfois we had did not go too well and most got pop eye and a red belly and died within a week. Maybe it was a bad batch! We have three surviving from them and hopefully we can get some local breeding going as I should have a varied gene pool already. Apparently they do the breeding well but the fry are very delicate.

The cories are not as well coloured as the first lot of adolfois we got and are a bit skinny. They are now going for NLS Grow OK. We will see if they look better when they have settled and fattened up. I will then try frozen some blood worm.

Thanks for all of your input.

• 6 months later...

I don't find my adolphoi precious, but I don't claim to be an expert. My oldest one is 7 years old (from purchase) and has lived in three tanks so far.

They do like pH 6.5 to 7.0 (my tank is pH 7.0). Sydney tap water is supposed to be soft (but pH 7.5 -8.0 in my part of Sydney, according to Sydney Water.) I haven't added Indian almond leaves or peat extract. Just Prime to dechlorinate the water and add a bit of plant fertilizer. I have driftwood, Java fern, anubias and bolbitis though.

The first two were 50l. But I think they seem to like more room with my latest (130l) tank being a hit with them. They are active and spend quite a lot of time whiffling about on the bottom and investigating the anubias with short burst of swimming about and the occasional quick trip to the top for a gutful of air, before retreating to their lair beside the driftwood. They like the little Hikari sinking wafers, plus any flake, brine shrimp or bloodworm that escapes the tetras. That keeps them plump for me anyway.

They really are worth it and are the most engaging little fish. I would hate to be without them.

Hi Mate

If u want to fatten them up i assume u will be feeding them high protein foods, in which case i would reccomend an overhanging filter.

Also cherry shrimp would be a useful companion as they would eat the leftovers and when they breed your corys will have live food.

Good idea using Indian Armond leaves.

They ideal water params are low ph (6-6.5) and low TDS (Hardness). You can achieve this by not using buffers to lower your ph. Instead use driftwood especially if it is leaking lots of tannins, IA leaves and peat moss. I also use banana tree leaves.

Ideally yr water should be a yellowish/brownish colour.

Your water parametres will be suited for plants as well and your cory's wont mind the coverage the plants will provide.

Good luck they are a cool fish

Aaron

Archived